1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing speed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Detroitdan, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Just watched the Blizzard video clips and I thought it seemed like they were going really fast. What kind of speeds are you guys comfortable with? I know I've seen wicked low reccommendations printed on Fisher plows before, do you suppose Blizzard condones higher speeds, or are they just showing off? Personally I'm more of a cautious, take it easy on the equipment type, but a lot of people I know plow like animals. I watched a guy hammer a truck so bad he broke the plowframe off two years in a row. Once he put the plow up on the hood of the truck. And he's the first one to tell you plowing is hard on a truck. He doesnt think that he's doing anything wrong. I know its probably a personal preference, learned habit or time issue, but I'm interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

2. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Sounds to me like your friend is really hard on equipment, I myself believe that you should make sure your equipment is in good shape and then, GET ER DONE, :cool:

3. SnowProGRES

SnowProGRES Member

Blizzard Speed

Ive got a couple blizzards and i personally run them at least that quick in a open light plow.... momentum is king... although i did rip six of the mouting bolts off the frame of my 2003 last winter... had to limp to the shop with the plow dangling off the front of the truck I was stacking tho shoulda used a loader :blush2:

4. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I find it depends on the situation. heavy, wet snow calls for more speed than light fluffy stuff. If I'm knocking back banks that's faster too. Knowing the terrain makes a difference. If it is the first time at a location it'll be slow, places I've done for 20 years, rip and run cuz I know all the obstacles. Speed doesn't damage equipment - hitting things damages equipment - speed just makes it worse.

5. westwind

westwind Member

RIGHT ON!!

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Depends on conditions and the lot. I go as fast as I can personaly. More speed=better windrowing and momentum is easier on a truck than putting along using the truck like a bulldozer. Now when I say as fast as possible depending on conditions I mean it depends on conditions and really varys. Sometimes 2MPH is as fast as I deem safe.....I will say that fisher recomends not traveling with a blade on over 45MPH and I have been over that in some of my lots on occasions. Lite slushy snow, wide open, newer lot with no obstructions that I have been in may times before, smooth pavement ect. Why ask questions if you already know all the answers? Or are you learning to be a bit openminded?