1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing speed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow More, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

How fast do you guys plow when ur plowing parking lots?
  2. KYsnow

KYsnow Member

If I know the lot very well (manhole covers, speedbumps etc) and depending on the type of snow I'll plow as fast as I can. over 10mph.

A dry powdery snow you need to plow slow because the wind kicks up drift.

If wet and slushy, I drive as fast as I can to throw the snow as far to the side as I can.
  3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

45 mph if its clear. 25 if theres obstacles.
  4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I guess I have never looked at how fast I'm moving. I am a 1st/reverse high range kind of guy, so I will go as fast as I feel comfortable with, in a lot/road that I know. I'm not sure of the top speed of first gear, high range. 20mph maybe??
  5. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I do those same speeds but for the opposite conditions
  6. durallymax

durallymax Senior Member

as fast as conditions allow. generally not much over 45-50 though on roads, in parking lots i guess i don't pay attention, but I dk if I get much over 20 due to the short distance and the fact that the big one we do always has vehicles driving around in it.
  7. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Are you guys all crazy? Have you ever hit a hidden obstacle with your plough at those speeds? We generally do not exceed 20-30 kilometres per hour when ploughing the suburban streets we do - that's about 20 miles per hour tops.
  8. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

ive found at 45, the plow skips over obsticals more easily. its all about making time. i have one parking lot that i can hit almost 60 in. Just a huge flat square lot thats wide open.
  9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

When I did that I found that an expansion joint tore off my cutting edge and I had to go digging in deep snow in the median to find it...
  10. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

hahaha, that would suck. badly. im laughing picturing you digging in the snow with semi's flying past. ahahahaha!

should of been going faster, that never would have happened.
  11. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Sounds like low productivity to me

Exactly. Also in deep snow when theres already big snow banks halfway through the winter its easier to stack it and get it all off the parking lot when u have a good run at it
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

1st gear 2500-3000 Rpm some times I'll run 2nd at 2500RPM My truck is high gear 373 Never realy watch the speed mostly watch the RPMs
  13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I was going as fast as I could go without wiping out. I guess if I'm going to be digging in snow in the freeway median, no better time than during a blizzard severe enough that semis aren't flying past...nobody was flying anywhere.
  14. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Burn fuel much?
  15. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I plow as fast as I can so when a parked car is in the way it doesn't slow me down, plow right through it.
  16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Wouldn't plowing speed be dependent on where you're plowing ?

Parking lot, vs residential driveway ?

Airport, vs quick chek parking lot ?

Playground with kids on it, or a highway ?

So reality is that .... it's simply based upon where you are, and how comfortable you are pushing your rig through it.I usually go slow < 10mph, as I primarily do driveways, and one long roadway through a commercial property..... that's full of potholes and is both partially paved, and the rest gravel..... so I still go slow...I'd rather go slower and save my equipment, then to be having to repair it all the time. Common sense here, man..... not like I'm driving for someone else who can pay for the damaged truck and / or plow

Hey Plow more..... you look really uncomfortable in your avatar. maybe time to buy a couch ?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Might burn a tank in 12 hrs but I pushing a 9.6MVP pro plus with wings I know its not a diesel
    its a 5.4 1999 F350 dually 5speed flatbed it burns gas
  18. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Oh a gasser makes sense. If it was a diesel i was going to tell you its about time to shift!

And yes it gets uncomfortable quick