1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grass1, Oct 4, 2001.

1. grass1

grass1 Junior Member

:confused: :confused: Im going to be plowing snow this winter and was told that pushing snow hurts the pick up is that true and what would be the best kind of pick up to use thanks

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

A 1 ton Pick UP, is the best type of Pick up to use to plow snow.

I am a Ford Guys so I would say Ford F 350. However Dodge and GM also make some good 1 ton pick ups.

Geoff

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a big fan of 1-ton trucks - regardless of make - myself. At the very least I would suggest a good 3/4-ton.

As far as plowing hurting the truck, a heavy-duty pickup like a 1-ton is a pretty durable unit. Many of the problems resulting from plowing are caused by abuse and/or neglecting maintenance.

Examples of abuse: Using a pickup truck as if it were a loader or bulldozer and shifting between D and R before the truck has come to a complete stop.

Examples of neglecting maintenance: Not performing regular service such as oil/filter change, automatic transmission fluid/filter change and greasing of suspension and driveline components.

And, a poorly or improperly installed plow can lead to frame damage, as can the loader/bulldozer impersonation mentioned under "Abuse"

Plowing IS "severe service", but if the truck is spec'd right and properly maintained & operated, plowing shouldn't wreck your truck.

4. ddm

ddm Member

I really think it depends on what you consider "pushing snow".
    If you're only doing a few drives and can operate the machine with common sense, you probably don't need to go to a real heavy truck. But if you plan on doing a lot, ( say over 4 or 5 hrs worth an event) than definatly heavier is better. I'm a Chevy guy, but honestly I think both Dodge and Ford have very good units out now in the "heavy" catagory.

Remember one thing if you are doing this seriously: You will expect (demand) that your equipment will run to it's optimum best in some of the worst conditions possible. Maintenance is critical to the plow and the truck. What else punishes a vehicle more than plowing snow for 12or 14 hrs without shutting off?
    Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you!

Good luck :)

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

ddm has a good point, the amount of snow you receive annually/per event makes a difference in how much "pushing" you'll be doing.

Another thing to consider is the off-season - what will the truck be doing to earn it's keep during the 6 months+ when it isn't snowing?

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Of course it is true. Think about what the truck has to go through in the process of plowing snow. Stop and start on the brakes, and trannies. Heavy loads not only from the plow, but most of the time on the rear as well carrying spreaders and salt aand or grit.
    Heavy electical loads from lights and plow units. Truck running for 12-24 hrs non stop.
    Coffee cup spills and donut wrappers littering the cab. Trees and dumpsters that jump into the rear bumpers.
    Weary eyed operators who should have been in bed hours ago, saying just one more drive, I love you truck.
    That is not say that the trucks are not up to the task, but PM and a good operator are crucial to keeping the truck alive, and worth something.
    All components of the truck will see more abuse and use from plowing. From the tires to the cab lights, every part will wear out sooner and require more maint.
    This is a severe duty use of any truck plowing commercial, and buy commercial I mean to make money. This includes driveway routes, and municipal.
    Dino

7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Snowplow drivers abuse is what cause most parts of wear on trucks. Take it easy on the truck. Come to a complete stop before shifting to reverse, and then come to a complete stop before shifting to drive. Don't hit the pile of snow too hard like as if it were to be a bulldozer. The piles may have frozen and turned into ice and the truck won't want to hit it hard. Also be sure to maintenance your truck well. Take it easy on your truck and it should serve you well for a long time.

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think you need to match the truck to your job. This means that if you are doing small driveways you can probably get away with a smaller truck. People on this site run small truck for that reason. I know Alan uses s-10s I use Toyotas and some use Jeeps. If you are doing bigger work then move up in size to bigger trucks. For large lots and roads you may go bigger then a one ton into something like a Ford F550. Do a search on this topic and you will find many threads.