1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing snow with an ATV

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WHITE=GREEN, Aug 11, 2001.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i have been considering purchasing a 4-wheeler for some time now and need some advice from you guys that use these machines to plow snow. i would be using it primarily for commercial sidewalks and some residential walks. it will be equipped with a v-plow and a electric spreader to salt with. the best thing is i put a plow and spreader on it and it becomes an $8000 tax write-off that i can have fun with all year round.:D thanks uncle sam. any advice on makes, models, experiences with these machines would be greatly apprecited.
  2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

We run hondas and polaris for the most part. Usually these machines are owned by someone working for our company who then rents it to the company for the winter. The company will buy the plow for it, and usually over the course of a season or two the atv is paid off.Not a bad deal. We also utilize a third party whos rents us 10 or so more atvs for the winter. Some come with plows, others we bought the plows for.

The best setup is a straight blade, with both an electric AND manual lift. Over time the battery wears down, so to ensure the atv can be used get a manual lift as a back up.

V-PLOW??? Not to sure...The v-plows we have are all welded into straight plows, it looks like they could not handle the stress of plowing.

All in all the atv is a great addition for sidewalk plowing. We also utilize walk behinds with blades. A little more effort though to operate the w/b, tires you out quicker.

And safety...Our operators wear helmets, required by the company and some commercial sites.
  3. Windy

Windy Junior Member

Your idea of having government subsidize ATV fun sounds great BUT a sharp revenue agent will see through that scheme in a minute.

Contrary to Windy I believe that the IRS doesn't have the time to investigate weather or not you are really using your ATV for buisness use.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Doesn't sound like a scheme to me. Obviously Bam is making it work in his market. It seems like a legit business tool, and whatever else you do with them is irrelevant.

Worrying about weather or not an ATV is a legitimate right off seems to be a secondary concern. If the equipment is adequate and is profitable, thats what matters.

TRINITY Junior Member

I have used an ATV with both a straight blade and a v- plow. For walks they will work great as long as you have enough room on the sides to windrow the snow off. Once the banks get high obviously you can only push the snow straight ahead. The v-plow is prety heavy to lift manually on a repeated basis. If you use a winch to lift the plow it will run down the battery after a while. As was said you will want the manual lift as well as the electric actuator lift. One last note... I saw in a motorcycle product news at work that someone is working with Moose Products on a hydraulic plow for ATV'S.

8. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

we use two quads for sidewalks, ones a honda forman and the other is a yahmah wolverine or a warrior, i can't remeber. There both 4x4 with striaght blades and manual lift. They had v blades on them but the operators where killing them, the staight blades seem to be more durable. The steel edges wore down real quik to so we but urathan edges on them, they wear quik to but not nearly as quik as the steel.

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

well i bit the bullet and bought a 2002 yamaha grizzly 660. what brand plows and electric actuator lifts are you guys using. i already have a 48" kimpex plow blade new in the box that was givin to me that hopefully i can use. i see warn and cycle country each make an electric lift. any recomendations?
  10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

We use the cycle country plows with the mannual lifts. Good luck with the new grizzly, those are real nice.
  11. Avalanche Owner

Avalanche Owner Junior Member

Grizz plow

I bought the Warn winch for the plow....I have a 60 inch cycle country plow on my Grizz....

Good choice...good luck
  12. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

we have a fellow who does plowing with an ATV on our smaller driveways, and some commercial walks for us. i might suggest that you consider investing in an ATV enclosure to use.

they run around $500.00 for a nice one, but if you are on the machine for a long period of time, it is worth it. other cheaper models are available though.

or call 1-800-382-8473 for a catalog
  13. snospark

snospark Junior Member

i have a kawisaki prairie 300 with a straight blade moose plow w/manual lift. this atv is superior to the last, but the cutting edge wears quickly. i decided to recycle an old edge off 1 of my trucks & turn it around. needlesstosay, it made the plow much heavierto lift. i rigged up a heavy duty spring off the framework which now lets you lift with 1 hand. i would advise auto trans & 4wd which would seem to be no-brainers & reuse your truck edges. the difference in clean up is incredible.
  14. mscincbus

mscincbus Junior Member

What size plow d most you have as far as width, are sidewlaks less than 60" and I have smaller walkways in a condo complex. It seems like a v-plow would be ideal, however there does not seem to be good one on the market.
  15. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I have a '08 Kawasaki BruteForce 750 4x4i, and plan to put a plow on it. I test-rode everything under the sun, and have to say, it is one of the best out there...

It came w/ a free Warn Winch, so the plow is the next feasable option...
  16. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I was wondering how good an atv plows? I've also thought about getting a honda 650 but then decided not to because I really wasn't sure if it will go through say 8" or more of snow because they seem kind of light.
  17. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I think you would be fine, my 360 goes those 3-4 inches (most we had this year:cry:) like nothing.
  18. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The Warn winch is a good unit if you have to pull the quad out. But for lifting 10" a hundered times a day, they will wear out the battery. I would suggest getting a plow winch from any dealier. It is smaller and cheaper, but will work just fine.

I have not tried the electric actuator style lifts. I have heard that they don't have float so you are always adjusting the plow height. Some guys were going to figure out how to use a chain in order to get the float.

The winch on my current sidewalk plow vehicle is from the local Meijers (open 24-7). It breaks I go buy a new one.

I run a Polaris V-Plow. It is 56" wide and in V or angled straight it cuts a 48" path. They need alot of extra welding for bracing before you put them on to plow with. I would probably recommend a straight blade to start with. You can always switch to a V using the same mount.

The factory cutting edge will wear out fast. I buy 1/2" x 3" bar stock, put the origional cutting edges on it to mark the holes and drill holes. I then mount it to the back of the blade using (can't think of the name right now) bolts with the round tops and the square on the shank from the front, through the plow, through the cutting edge and then nuts. Use locking nuts. Make some spares when you get the time.

I would also recommend carrying a tie down strap in case something happens. Use it to hold the plow up if the winch fails. Might have to drive back to the trailer or the shop, but atleast you won't be plowing the hole way.