1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing snow with a SUV?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kegz_lawn, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kegz_lawn

kegz_lawn Junior Member

Ok, my mom has a 95 GMC Suburban, she will be getting rid of it. We are gonna trade it in, and we can get like $4,500 because its a "gas guzzler" some incentive program. Well we will get another Chevy or GMC, she wants a SUV, 4X4, and something we can put a poly plow on for her driveway, and another plow for the biz.

So, here is the question, what should she get? I figure the smallest SUV we could use would have to be a Tahoe/Yukon. So how do you think it would work? I know that people put plows on Tahoes and whatnot, and i dont know if they do for Tahoes, but you can get a Suburban 2500.

So, please tell me what you think, questions, comments, ect.... Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The new Tahoe are lightly sprung, and they're coils not T bars so there is not increaseing the pre-load. You would HAVE to put timbrens or some type of suspention assist on the front end. The 2500 suburban would be the better choice for carrying the weight.

When you say poly I assume you are referring to a Snoway as the other manufacturers poly plows tend to be heavier then the equivalent steel blade. Mostly because Snoway has a patent on the use of Lexan for snow removal equipment and the others are forced to run "softer" materials that need thickness to obtain the necessary strength.

Have you considered the new JK (Just Kidding:rolleyes:) Wrangler, excellent driveway machine and a whole lot different then the vehicle it replaces comfort wise.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I'd check on that gas guzzler incentive program before you make too many plans cause I don't think you can trade in one gas guzzler for another one.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Something about trade has to get less than 18 mpg, & new vec. must get 10 mpg better. If your driving a SUV, your not going to trade it in on a neon, what a waste of a good idea. There were several proposals floating when I looked & none has past as of yet that I'm aware of.
    My wifes looking she has a 2002 Trailblazer, nothing wrong with it other than it seats 5 & with new baby on the way we won't all fit. We were thinking about it, between the rebate, then GM card we had almost $ 5K we could use on select cars/trucks, but they no longer make the EXT trailblazer, Tahoes & Suburbans are just WAY more than I'm willing to spend on a car for my kids to trash. We have the 2 ext cabs & a mini van so its not a big deal for us. Whats the deal with no vinal/rubber floors in minivan/suv's, the kids absoulty destroy the carpets, when she asked the salesman when we bought the mini van, he looked at us like we were nuts.

Another thing to watch is I've heard the IRS is cracking down on the use of luxury suv's for "business" just what I've heard.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Its a myth that newer Tahoes get bad milage. My wife's 03 is great on milage (for what it is), and my buddie had an 07 thats even better. Around town my wife's averages 14-15 and 19-20 on the road. Could be even better with a few add ons.

As for plows, the 01-06 body style can handle a plow almost as well as the 1/2 ton trucks....they have t-bars. A few turns or a set of Timbrens and you're set. The newer ones can too, but like stated above, with the new coil springs they're not nearly as stout.

6. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok, i am kegz_lawn and just got my other account reactivated, so need more info...