1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing snow with 2 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jgriff6258, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jgriff6258

jgriff6258 Junior Member
    from ohio

hi all new here had a question about plowing with a 2 wheel drive truck

I have a 93 Chevy 3500 dually with a 12' dump bed on it some of my bigger mowing accounts are asking if i could possibly plow for them this year.

what do you all think about the ability of that truck to plow, it has fairly knobby tires on the back, maybe with some weight added i could possibly plow?

Thanks

2. DANIEL ROSSI

DANIEL ROSSI Junior Member

Plowing with 2wd

Hi,
    you should have no problem plowing a parking lot with your truck.
    I used 2wd ford f-350 trucks for years and had no problem. Just put about a ton of weight right over the rear axle & plow with the storm. You may have to invest in a good set of tire chains for the bigger wetter snow storms but the dry snow is no problem i have plowed up to a foot of dry snow with no problem. I would only install like a 8.5 ' western or fisher. Try to stay away from the 9' plows they are a little heavy. You might also want to think about installing front timbren load boosters to help support the extra weight of the plow. If you have any other questions i can be reached at my place of business @ 781-899-5400

3. jgriff6258

jgriff6258 Junior Member
    from ohio

hey thanks for the reply! glad to hear i can do that, now to find a decent plow, few decent ones for sale right now around here, I know if i wait till nearer winter there gonna get hard to find and pricey, I really dont want to buy a new one right now, so maybe i can find a decent used one later this summer.

again thanks

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you put alot of weight in the back you will be all set IMO.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Unless it is an account with long pushes don't even try the 2WD. If you try driveways you WILL get stuck.
    Try reading ALL the other posts about 2WD trucks and plows.......very good reading

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Sure you can. Most of us have 4wd trucks cause we like throwing money away. Seriously, if you're going to be doing driveways or being anywhere other than perfectly flat, level surface, you will get stuck. Even flat surface with much heavy, wet snow. And you won't have the option of kicking in the 4wd. Remember, when you raise that plow (like in backing up - which you'll do a lot), most of the weight is shifted to the front axle, giving you even less traction.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i have plowed with a 2WD F350 for the last 5 years. works great on parking lots and certain drives. in Feb we got 26" of snow in 12 hours,i got stuck 1 time and that was when the blade tripped and through me sideways. i guy in a backhoe across the street came over and pulled me out. i saw 4WD's stuck everywere i even pulled a couple out. if you know how to plow and know your limitations then you will be fine.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I plowed with a 3500 hd stake bed for two years and only got stuck 3 times and 2 of them were 100% my fault. I had no weight added to the rear and a 9ft western on the front. Just know that your not going to plow hillsides in 5inches or more of snow. The truck i used is pictured as my avatar.