1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing snow into the neighbors ditch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by justinzich, Feb 9, 2010.

1. justinzich

justinzich Member

Recently a lot of our neighbors and the people doing snow removal for them, have been pushing snow down there driveway across the road and piling it in the ditch on the other side of the road. Now some of my customers are requesting that I do this. Are people really that stupid that they think it is ok? Anyone else have this problem?

2. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

Call me stupid but I'm not really seeing what is so wrong with this. I have a few drives that I do that I HAVE to push the snow across the street, I just make sure I clean up whatever I leave in the road.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

not stupid but it is illeagal, if the person who owns the house across the street decides to complian to the polic or the town you could be in some trouble.

4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

yes it is usually against city ordinances and I have had customers ask me to do this and I have had to explain to them that it is illegal. In very rare instances when I do push across a street onto anothers propery, its only when I also plow that property as well.

If there are storm drains in the ditches, covering them up with snow could lead to drainage and backup issues.

5. 10elawncare

That makes a bit more sense, we don't really have "ditches" around here, so when we push across a street its just up against a curb. I don't know about your towns but I know ours really lacks any structure for snow ordinances. They have some rules but I have never seen them enforced. I didn't really take into consideration the drainage issues that can come from pushing snow into a ditch.

6. justinzich

justinzich Member

We actually live in a rural development and that is where I see the problem the most. For one it is not your property but the county actually sends a thing out every year reminding people not to push snow into the highway right of way (ditch). Along with the drainage and it not being your property issues it also causes a lot of drifting in our area. We are a new development and the wind really gets us. The wind then drifts the road shut by these piles.

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The biggest issue I have heard when pushing snow across the street is when you don't clean up. I generally don't like seeing other contractors push across the street with large amounts-though I've had to do it occassionally myself. If someone is driving a car along a busy road and someone left a bank in the middle of the road because they didn't clean up after themselves, and the car crashes whoever left the pile there will be liable. However, if you are responsible and clean up after yourself right away (and you aren't on a major roadway), I've never heard of it being enforced. I have a friend who is a police officer and he plows on the side-he pushes across the street (he also cleans it up right away)

8. justinzich

justinzich Member

The thing the county sends out state "DO NOT push, pile or place snow on public roadways
    DO NOT Pile snow along roadways (in right of way) as it allows drifting across driving lanes."

I don't see a big deal with pushing across the roadway if you clean it up, sometimes you can't avoid that. But the piles in the the neighbors ditch break both rules plus it isn't even the same land owner. Plus the other day I watched a skid steer clean the drive next to the one I was cleaning. I used the blower on mine and he took the snow off the driveway and stacked it in the street, pushing it into the rows the snow plow had left.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's illegal in most communities. The contractor that plows our town is going to start notifying the Sheriff. Homeowner will receive a visit.......

10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I imagine, as it is with any law, that it is a question as the degree of the offense. Speed limits are laws, yet they are generally not enforced if you are exceeding them by 1 mph. Same is true of being overweight-hardly ever do contractors get stopped for being over gvwr during a storm. If you need to push snow across the street, if there is no easy alternative, and if you are good about cleaning up after yourself, and leaving the roadway cleaner than when you started, I don't think any police officer would give you a hard time. However, if you leave banks in the road for people to hit, if you don't push the pile back far enough, etc etc then you are asking for trouble. I had a storm once where there was 3" of really wet slush. I take care of a parking lot on a hill, and I could not hold snow (slush) in front of me at all, even with wings. I had to push downhill and across the street out of necessity. It was scary though, because once that slush pile started moving it would not stop, I was lucky that no one was coming down the road in a small car-they would have been thrown right into the guardrail.

There are also laws that you cannot back into a roadway-how many people follow that one?-then again, if you back into someone, you are at fault. That is the reason the law is there, and I imagine the same is true with pushing across the street. It is very unlikely you will get a ticket or a fine in either case if you are responsible about it.

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

well put :nod:

12. 10elawncare

I knew that was going to happen, I was going to criticize my town for not enforcing their laws/regulations. We got a pre-recorded message from the local p.d. sgt telling everyone about alternate side parking earlier this evening. Wouldn't you know it, 2 police cars just came down the street on their loud speakers telling everyone to move their cars. We will see if they actually do anything when no one moves them but regardless... that's pretty impressive for our town!

13. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

I had a town plow driver explain the "problem" to me once, and it does make sense. When we push across a road and pile on the other side we would create a hole in the bank. When they plow past that spot the wing would push out in the soft spot then hit the frozen hard side past the open spot causing damage to the town plows.

14. doccafs

doccafs Junior Member

I was told back in the day that is was not legal to push across a road and that included pushing snow from one owners lad and dumping it on on some ones else land. I know of guys that have gotten tickets for this. I have dropped jobs because this is what they wanted me to do and after talking to the neighbor, most of them said no way unless it was an emergency. I also have had to do driveways for the ambulance and fire department to get in to a home for emergency reasons.

Plus it is not worth getting T Boned or having some guy just out driving around hitting you run off and wrecking, I am not explaining that to the insurance company....

15. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Plus it is not worth getting T Boned or having some guy just out driving around hitting you run off and wrecking, I am not explaining that to the insurance company....[/QUOTE]

No kidding. It's a definite no-no in my area.