1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Snow Across the Street

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kenyou, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I haven't paid much attention to plowing snow across the street as I never needed to do so. In the city, that would only be plowing snow onto the neighbors property. Not Good. I also noticed the way our city of Alpena plows their streets They do plow all the streets here. I was driving down the street the day after a storm and when I went across every intersection after intersection, I was being jolted in my truck from hitting these twin - 10 -12 inch windrows at every intersection. I guess that it is not against the law for the city to do this and leave the windrows for the cars to pack down. From what some of the guys on P.S. have said, watch out if a private plow truck driver leaves a little snow on the street. Just for GP, I called our police department and they said that as long as the snow left by private plow companies doesn't cause a traffic hazard, then they don't get involved.

When I lived in Detroit, the different neighborhoods had to hire people like us to plow our streets because the city wouldn't do it and they never left a mess like that. That was the rules the city set for private plow companies.

Has anybody else seen this kind of plowing?
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here durring a storm there is usually windrows across intersections. Within about 2hrs of the storm being over though they are all cleaned up and most everything is just wet.

If your asking if anyone plows across the street? Sure. I do, I make sure though that before I leave that location the street is just as clean as it was when I got there or cleaner. I make sure there isn't even the slightest windrow left and no snowballs in the middle of the road.
  3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I can speak from a PW standpoint.( I worked PW for a year) First priority is the heavily traveled roads then the secondary roads followed by residential streets. Now if you do it right and startplowing and then continue with going right you should not have this problem. I can;t believe that a PW department would leave windrows at intercestions?
  4. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping Senior Member
    from Medford

I push snow accross streets all the time. During a storm, the big city trucks usually help me out if I am on a main road. ill push it out and they will wait then come by and push it out. I have never had a problem. As long as I clean up after myself, no one will bother me. Just my 2cents

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

you get HUGE fines in my part of ct for pushing across roadways.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Our town windrows and then blows it into trucks to be hauled away. They LET us put snow in the windrows. I make sure to clean the street very well when I push across the street too.
  7. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

yup...my area too.
  8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I don't push across the street.

One of the gated communities that I plow in will fine you and no longer let you in to plow if you do.

In another neighborhood I swear 1/4 of the drives are pushed across the street onto someone else's property. Problem is that no one pushes the piles completely off the road so after a few big storms it was basically a one lane road as you had to stop to let other cars pass. It's a private subdivision so the company who plows the roads is just using pickups so they can't push the piles back.
  9. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Plowing across the street in a small NH town

I am put into a position of having to plow across the street, as the new construction homes here in NH where I plow are not designed with plowing in mind. Stone walls, garages, shrub borders are all placed directly on the edges of the driveways, and so there is no place for the snow on the site. We have to get written permission from our road expert, and advise the PD or they will fine us for each violation.
    Same courtesy applies, we push the snow back beyond the bankings of what the road agent plows, clean up windrows, and do not obstruct a neighboring mailbox or view line.
  10. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I was pushing snow across the road the other day and went a little to far. My front tires dropped off the pavement and I got stuck. The truck was almost competely blocking the road. I walked down the block and asked another plow guy if he could give me a yank. By the time we got back to my truck the big a$$ city plow was waiting for me. Hooked up and got out the way. All the city guy did was give me a big friendly wave as he plowed on.
  11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

up in the city were I plow, if you push across a street, you can get in alot of trouble. The police tell you that you cannot put your snow on somone else's property.

We plow the public schools up there and I do my best to keep the snow that lands on the property on the property.

I can tell you that if someone is pushing snow across a clean road and leaves large winrows, I angle my blade and throw it back in the drive it came from.
  12. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I never push across the street, around here across the street is in front of someones house. If the drive has no where to push the snow you need to snow blow it. I use to have some driveways like that, had to be done with the blower and paid good.
  13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I push my own driveway across the street, but it's the only one I do. Where I live though the city owns the first 5 feet of all properties, so as long as I clean up the street, no one complains.
  14. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

PW viewpoint

I plow for the local PW up here and I have got to say that the biggest issues I have with people plowing across my route are: Not cleaning the road up after plowing across it, and not getting the snow far enough off the other side of the road.
    Believe it or not, once those banks get big enough and freeze, it has the ability to send my dump truck into the oncoming traffic lane, wreaking havoc on my wing at the same time. Usually if I see someone doing this on my route I stop and ask them nicely to make sure it is all the way off the road. This usually works, and if it doesn’t we make complaints to the fuzz to go talk to them. I also will stop and take the time to pull it out with my dust pan and put it on the other side of the road. (My route consists of rural roads and side streets so traffic is usually light). This takes time, but I try to take pride in my route and it makes my trip easier the next time.
    Lastly, typically the windrows across the intersections are cleaned up at the end of the storm. Usually the intersection windrows are created by the main route plows. They can’t stop and clean every side street intersection as it would take forever. On my side street route, I typically do not leave windrows. I do leave some snow in the road where it sneaks through my plow and wing when I am turning corners.
    We’re not big bad guys you know, just tired and annoyed of dealing with people who don’t care, or don’t understand.
  15. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

I do not plow across roads here in Iowa. The PW Department here are serious dicks about it. I cleaned out and entrance to a Commercial property after the plow truck plowed it shut and got all but 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket worth of snow back on the business's side of the curb. Plow truck drove back by...driver basically ran out of his truck all but swinging his fists at me threatening to have me ticketed. Guess he was having a bad day or something. What is funny is that the city is about 3-4' from the curbs when they clean the streets. What a bunch of tools:nod:

The next day I actually went and talked to the mayor about the incident.
  16. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Jim, please don’t place us all in the tool category, we’re just men and women doing our job. Like you, we have to put our snow somewhere, and the law allows us to place it on the side of the road. We don’t have the resources or the time to clean up driveway entrances, so we do our jobs as best we can. My suggestion is to clear a space up wind of your driveways about 20 feet or so to allow our moldboards to clean off, then your driveways will be much easier to clear. When I can I try to feather my wing up, especially if I see people shoveling. But contrary to popular belief we don’t sit at the end of the road waiting for you to finish so we can fill you back in. ( I actually had someone complain that I did this) And if you see us smiling or laughing as we drive-by, most likely we heard something funny on the radio.
  17. KC2LLW

KC2LLW Member

I had a guy that plowed my neighbors house across the street and would plow the snow on to my yard right in front of my mail box every time he plowed one night confronted him (no speak English) but I think he got the message. I would never push snow across the road or on to someones yard!
  18. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I never push snow across the road although many people in this area do. One of the yahoos that plows the lot next to one of the ones i do, plows it across the street but not over the curb so he leaves big piles 5-6 feet on the edge of the road and always leaves the spillover and windrows in the street. It probably wouldnt bother me if he just did a neat job and didnt leave it all in the street.
  19. jjmcnace

jjmcnace Member
    from Iowa

You sound like a cool guy. Keep up your good work. Wish guys like you worked for our PW dept.
  20. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i also plow for a town and the biggest issue is guys not plowing up thier windrows or pushing back all the way
    we try to stop and ask people but some just dont care. one that really bugs is me is on a 1way street all hoses are on the right side so we windrow everything to the left and 1 guy still ahs to plow out and make a mess so he gets his snow back!
    interesections typicallly get cleaned at the end of a storm or once it becomes unsafe we will clean them a bit.
    also we try to help people out if they are shoveling, we will angle away pull out or sometimes even push out the end of the drive and then go on our way