1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing sloping driveways

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by iceman_4432, Dec 8, 2005.

1. iceman_4432

iceman_4432 Junior Member

Hi all. Where i am plowing it seems that alot of the private residential driveways are long and at an incline ... say 20-30 degree. By long they are more like private roads ... 800 - 1000 feet long.

When plowing these .. what is the approach ? Do you start at the road and plow uphill or try to get uphill and plow down ?

Thanks for helping out a newbie :D
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I do several of those. My advice is to ALWAYS start at the top and plow as wide a path on the way down as possible. I keep the blade straight as much as possible. My reasoning is that, first - let gravity work for me instead of against me; second - if for some reason I need to back out of there, I can keep control better if I'm backing UPHILL than if gravity is trying to pull me DOWNHILL. If I plowed downhill and was now trying to back out but couldn't keep it from sliding, at least the snow I'd just plowed would stop the truck. But I would need to use the cleared space to back out. Now I can use salt or sand for traction to back up the hill.

Would you believe maybe I've "been there, done that"?
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your showing your age? No! No! Wisdom lol!!:nod:
  4. danno

danno Senior Member

Agree with Mick. It works better this way as far as removing the snow build up that you would have to push, if your backdraging at the gararge (top) area. The long end of the drive would be already done when your ready to push out the snow around the gararge area.
  5. iceman_4432

iceman_4432 Junior Member

Thanks again guys for the useful information and advice :D
  6. frostservices

frostservices Member

Um ok where do you hire a helicopter to get you to the top when theres about 12 inches of snow?
    I would drop my blade on the way up if you can drive on it you should be able to push it. I plow cell towers and some of those drives are more like 45 degrees and you gotta plow it to get to the top,but if you don`t make it first push, back down and hit it again but just drop your blade while your moving just before you get to the pile and don`t hit it to hard. If you spin out going up without plowing then you gotta back down where it hasn`t been plowed.