1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing site 4.5 acres

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MLI, Oct 20, 2002.

1. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Hey folks....We have been taking care of a small bank for 15 yrs...including sanding. Well recently they have expanded into a lot that is 4.5 acres with the building being smack in the middle of the lot....the building is 40,000 sq. ft. The parking lot has islands in the middle of it making for a fun plowing day im sure. We have 3 trucks now and have a sub with frontend loader. Im pricing this lot at 2-6 for $840 6-12 for$1060 12-18 $1680. Price includes sanding, and shoveling just front of building. Hows the price look to you folks....and what do you have for a blizzard clause? Thanks for any help!

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I always used to do my blizzard clause at anything over 12", after 12" it is the 12" amount + and hourly rate.

Geoff

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your ranges are close to what I use. The only thing I'd wonder is the amount of the second range. I use a basic range ($840 in this case). Then 1 1/2 that for the second range ( $1260 instead of $1060 ). Then basic range times 2 for the third range. As Geoff noted you should have a "blizzard clause" in there somewhere. This year, I went with:

3" to 6" - $xxx
    over 6" to 9" - $xxx times 1 1/2
    over 9" to 12" - $xxx times 2
    over 12" - $xxx times 2 plus $xxx per inch over 12"

You're cheating yourself on that second range or the customer on that third range - depending on how you look at it.

Some also charge the same for every push and push at a pre-determined depth.

4. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

4.5 lot

How long for you to clear the lot? What are you using for equipment? 9'or8'or wings, any back plows, v-plows? Do you start at 1"/2"? We start at 1" to 2" on lots like that, I sure would not like it at 6" and worse 9". The owner has bid all the lots per trip, it's easyer on the equipment and on a 12" storm we will plow 3 trips, we can get 8" in 5/6 hours but we don't get 12" in that same time period. We do not get that kind of price around here, 700 depending on the lot tops. 3 trips at 700 looks better than a 12" rate to us. I like the 840 if you can start by 1"/2". Every location and market is different good luck in your's. Haden