1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jwwieberg, Dec 15, 2012.

1. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

I have a new account with a hospital that has a lot of sidewalks to be cleared. I run grasshopper mowers and just recently bought a 60'' blade and when it's angle it's 52'' but about half of the sidewalks are only 48'' wide. The question is, if I cut the blade down so it is 48'' wide or so when it's angle the tires are 52-53'' wide from outside to outside width. So I'll be running over snow that isn't plowed, and I'll be losing traction driving over that snow. Has anyone plowed with a 48'' blade, and if so how did you get along with it.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

if it a sidewalk with a curb, I'd say dont worry, my city runs a sidewalk machine that had a tire width of the entire sidewalk, but the blade looks to be slightly smaller , but they drive with wheel right on curb & it pushes some of the snow off the curb so it dont run it over, I"ve been drinking tonight so forgive me if it dont make sence.

3. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Cut the blade. I would suggest you try and find perhaps some wheels / tires that would give you the desired smaller width. Reason being that snow is going to end up on your sidewalks. It won't be much but it is still snow on the walks.

4. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I wouldn't be too worred about it. If it does post an issue, then trim the blade down to 54" or so. When angled it should give you a 48" swath.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I cut the blade down

My self I run a ATV to do walks
    My ATV is setup with 2 plows Like you I have walks that are 4' and bigger
    The 4' walks we use the rear plow its 48'' wide and 5' and up walks I use front plow its 48''+wings total 58''

I know a guy used a grasshopper back 90s and he had problems with traction since then he useing a ATV now

6. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

It's a grasshopper, get a broom and don't look back.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I woulnd't really worry about ripping up a lot of grass or anything. Seems like those places really just care about getting the snow off of their walks quick. Or you could get a broom like someone else said.

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Maybe time to consider a different tool for the job?

Wise man once said "if it don't fit, you must acquit"

9. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

use a snowblower!

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm really liking the broom deal. I think they would work great with minimal if any damage to anything.

11. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

The broom idea is brilliant.

12. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

The other big advantage of the broom is they leave the side walk way cleaner than anything else.

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Exactly. You save on salt and sand and reduce your liability further yet.

14. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I have an s100 with a 48inch blower works pretty good. If you have a wider wheel base then your cleaning tool your either going to make a mess or get stuck .

15. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

+1 I have a 463 though. Yet to have find any significant difference between the two.

16. m_ice

m_ice Junior Member

I agree with the broom idea if your set on using the grasshopper, but think ATV with plow would make short work of it.

17. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Brooms work great. I have 2 for sale in the marketplace. A MB 48" walkbehind and a Hustler zero turn with a 60" Sweepster.