1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing sidewalks with 4 wheeler

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Doctordo, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Doctordo

Doctordo Member

Has anyone used a 4 wheeler to do sidewalks? How well does it work on storms over 6 inches. I am thinking about getting a plow for my wheeler for next season.:D

2. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

First what size quad do you have I have a Grizzly 600 and a 60in moose state blade and I pushed the 8in we just got on Dec. 5 but once it was piling up that was getting a little hard but it did it!

3. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I bought my Kodiak originally for hunting, but the dealer had a great combo deal with winch and plow so I bought it. For me it worked so well that I bought the Grizzly. The Kodiak is a 400cc auto, 4X4, I plow in low range, and don't really have a problem until about 8-9 inches powder or 5 or so of wet. My Grizzly just eats the snow up. It is a 660cc, auto, 4X4, with factory front locker, I also run 27X12X12 Blackwater XT's front and rear (takes a little power away but worth the extra traction), also the 300 lbs of salt and 50 lbs of spreader make great ballast and help tons with traction. Not to mention that it help cut down the time since I can plow and salt in one pass most of the time. With this set-up the Griz will push snow until it boils over the blade and still keep going. I also use them for plowing a couple of small drives when we only get a couple of inches, instead of Bobcat.

4. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a yamaha 350 wolverine 4x4 with a 50 "blade
    its excellent. beats using a snow blower.

cardoctor

5. hedgehogg

hedgehogg Junior Member

I have a warrior guess it wont handle any, although it does cool wheelies

6. CARDOCTOR

PUT CHAINS ON THE REAR TIRES AND A LITTLE WEIGHT YOULL BE SURPRISED

CARDOCTOR:gunsfiring:

7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We use a Honda Foreman with a cycle country 48" blade. We put a u edge on the plow and it makes all the difference when doing city walks - the blade doesn't trip and it's quiet.

Our biggest logistical issue since the 4 wheeler makes such quick work out of the sidewalks is deciding where to send the 4 wheeler and transporting it from location to location. Ideally I'd be someplace with it for hours - but instead we move it around to the accounts we do have and it makes quick work out of walks.

This last storm we had officially 10.2" (melted down slightly to 7 to 8") and we pushed our walks twice. Since many of our city walks are right against the city streets we are often plowing road slush junk. The 4 wheeler goes right through it. We used to use a snow blower or hand shovel - and now, this 4 wheeler is a God send.

8. truck1500

truck1500 Member

4 wheeler snowplowing

i had a 425 polaris magnum with a 50in straight and a 48in v-plow and it pushed the snow like no problem.

9. jcfeder

jcfeder Junior Member
    from neb

my kid just broke her leg on my polaris xplorer 400 4x4 2stroke on xmas day. just took to dealer and 900.00 later I have my #1 snowblower back. I am just thankful that the only thing that my kid broke was her leg she learned that a 900lb 4wheeler can not take down a twenty year old oak. any way this is my first year of haveing it and this kid loves how much time i can save on my lots and walk with it. Is long as i am pushing snow i well have one. :D

10. CARDOCTOR

SPEED DOESNT HURT ITS THE SUDDEN STOP!

99 WOLVERINE 50" COUNTRY PLOW

CARDOCTOR

GO EAGLES:gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: