1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Schools

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Mar 7, 2000.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have been asked to bid on plowing a local school(s). I wondered if any of you guys plow schools and want to know the postives and negatives ( i have neve plowed a school, just know it's a bunch of parking lots, roads and walkways.<p>Here is the deal:<br>On site storage space for snowblowers, shovels sand/salt for walkways.<p>Schools close at the latest 3 PM open at 7:30 earliest but staff is there before.<p>Schools are closed based on road conditions and called off by bus director.<p>Plenty of room for snow.<p>Roads must be clear and sanded 1/2 before school opens. Lots must be cleared if lots are empty and snow has ended before school opens. If there isn't time the lots must be cleared at the end of the day. Roads must be kept plowed and sanded during a storm, if school is open walkways must be also kept cleared.<p>What do you guys think?<p>Geoff

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I know alot of guys that plow schools. they seem to do very well. Snow and Ice manager last fall did an article on plowing a school district in Minnisota. If you were a member of SIMA you would have already read that tho. LOL just a little SIMA humor.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

We are hoping to plow for the school board next winter. Looking at the sizes of the lots, the fact that they are geographically close together, and the absence of vehicles parked overnight they seem like a good bet. However, look at my post in commercial lawn care and you'll understand why we may be hesitant to commit to a contract with several buildings included. <p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The only problem with the school contract we are looking at is, the high school. The High School is where the local basket ball games happen at about 2 times a week, and sat am kids ball. At those times we would have to make a good faith effort to clear the lots.<p>Geoff

5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I won the contract for three schools this year(three year contract). The plus sides are like you mentioned, no or very few vehicles, closed on a snow day, not open weekends, and the ones I bid on are in a 1 mile radius. The only negative side is I'm not allowed to operate while students are going to or from school ( for safefy sakes I wouldn't want have equipemeny aroun kids horseing around on the school grounds) I have to have plowing etc. completed before 7 am, but that is always a lite snowfall, and I haven't had a problem. One unpredicted snowfall this year, I was called in to ensure the buses had no problems, during school hours, at the principles request. They aren't the headache some of my commercial lots who insist on being open no matter how bad the storm and having to deal with stranded cars. Bill

6. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

The schools we use to do were nice contracts as long as you do not mind waiting several months for a check.

7. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I am also thinking about bidding on a school. I figure it will take between 3 and 5 hours or so w/2 trucks any more tips/ tricks to bidding on this??? BTW I think they do the sidewalks .

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have the Philadelphia School District contract which is 160 schools which i sub about 80 of them out to 2 other contractors .Its not to bad cause we just do the school yards and parking lots which doesnt include sidewalks.We usually have enough time to finish them before the schools open.

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

We used to do all the Peel and Duffern county schools at one time.195 schools in total,and most of the work was all done by subs,as it was not local to us.

We did have to wait 90-120 days to get a check,and it was on a per push basis only.We had a few dry winters,and we almost we lost our shirts.Record all authorization,extra work or special requests,as the person\dept paying the invoice will usually not pay anything unless you can prove it was authorized.

Get a bid request or spec sheet from them if possible,as they have a lot of strange requirements some times.Then your pricing will be more accurate.You can also point out any potential problems ahead of time.

Ask if it's OK to stake the property.Most schools around here will not let you stake,as it's considered a hazard for the kids.

Find out who calls the shots.We had to get authorization from head office before we dropped a blade,and they always waited until the last minute,whic made it difficult to get it completed in time.

10. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Thans for the info. I know a lady on the board of education I will ask her about getting a bid request. I am new to this and want to get into the larger lots/buisness that is why so many questions.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  11. Roadwarrior

Roadwarrior Junior Member
    from CNY

Prevailing wages ???

If you plow a school are you required to pay them? I would say yes since tax payer money is onvolved.