1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Schools?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Dustin-M, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

Hi there, new to the forum although I have been plowing just shy of 10 years. Used to plow for a local road maintenance division although branched out onto my own 5 years ago. Plowing 2 industrial lots currently that are owned by my friend and work full-time in construction.

Anyways, a company contacted me recently in regards to a school they are re-signing on and want a seasonal quote to sub the place. It includes walks and roadways and were spreading a salt/sand mix. Im not looking for a price, I do have a ballpark in mind, I'm just looking for insight on how much you would charge for such a property. They're willing to sign on 3 properties to keep 1 truck and labourer busy each night.

Anyways, if you were offered this opportunity, what do you think would be the most efficient operation to complete 3 of these. How much would such an operation cost you per night?

Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 8.20.22 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Cet is the king of plowing schools in Canada.

3. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought this thread by the title was about someone opening up a Plowing School....I was gonna be the first to sign up.....:drinkup:

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Two one tons, with xls, spreaders, and three man sidewalk crew. Costs on the low end would be around 2k for direct labor........

5. Defcon 5

Not sound like a Richard.......How do you know what his direct labor costs would be....Your in Maine...He is in Canada....Do you know how much he pays his labor???

Also....I have never understood how people can throw out prices on this site...Unless your in the persons area..... You have no idea what the market is like and the costs involved in running his operation.....

6. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

It's L A B O U R. Get it right, aye?

7. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

Re read it, he asked if WE were presented this bid what would WE use for a setup and what would WE have for costs involved........

FWIW

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

how that one little sentence was missed.....

9. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

I'm sorry but I did ask what others costs would be. Like I said, I already know what I want to service the properties but I just thought it would be interested to see how price differs globally.

10. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

I was thinking something about the same. One pick-up with a plow and salter and another pick-up with a plow for touch-ups and a two man sidewalk crew.

You'd probably need a minimum 2 ton salt spreader to salt the sites. Probably a 1 yard bucket of salt for the walks.

11. Defcon 5

I didn't miss that.....My point to the OP and others is my costs are irrelevant....The OP was fishing in deep water for a price......

To jr....Didn't mean to call you out.....That one is on me....

I just find it funny,,,,This time of year the "What would it Cost" or the " What would you charge" threads start coming out of the wood work

12. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

It's all good :D

13. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Don't know about up north but down here you have to pass a pretty extensive background check before being allowed to work on school grounds. This makes employee turn over a difficult thing to deal with. Just something to think about if the checks are required up there.

14. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

Pretty sure the checks are required around here as well. Although, I'm subcontracting it from another company and they made the process seem rather simple. Not much validation to do on my end.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

That's an image of an elementary school correct? Are they all elementary or do you have a high school? Are you responsible for the playground?

Best method for the walks would be a small tractor with a blower. You just need to get it from site to site. If they are all elementary and you're plowing the playgrounds 1 good driver can do them in 5 hours.

16. Dustin-M

Dustin-M Junior Member

Yes, all three schools are elementary and are similar in size to the one in the picture. One pick-up truck and salter may be enough to plow all the sites as they're only about two minutes apart. The only issue we may have with a tractor is having to re-fill the drop salter or have another guy salt behind him. I'm sure two guys in a 3/4 ton with a bucket of salt can handle them.

The company contracted to the schools said they picked up a quite a few area and that's how they currently run their operation.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have a concern filling the drop spreader then put salt boxes on site. If you clean the walks well you won't need much salt.
    Is it salt on the walks and sand/salt on the lots?

18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Properties where it is required here I have the criminal background check and child abuse registery, anyone I bring to a property is on my head as the contractor.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have no background checks. You're not allowed on site if there are kids. When the first kid shows up you have to leave. If we can't finish the parking area of the school we don't even start.

It's rare that we would plow during the day. Years ago I was clearing a playground with the principal standing guard and in the first 10 minutes 2 parents went nuts on the principal and they sent me home.

20. jrs.landscaping

from Maine

We send a truck out at 4:30 to begin plowing/treating, by the time he's finishing up the first of the teachers are showing up. Then he will go back around 1:30pm to open the bus lanes, after 5 he'll return for another cleanup/treatment.

This all depends on storm timing and if school is cancelled or not.