1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Schools

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moonlighter, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey guys, I will be plowing some school parking lots this year for another company, I have done commercials and resis for a long time. I was wondering if there are things to looks out for that would be specific to schools?
    I realize at some point there will be buses to contend with, kids and parents.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

How's your insurance?

///

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Most likely you will not be allowed to be there when there are buses, kids, or parents there

4. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Yes, don't worry about buses, kids or teachers. If anyone is there, don't plow the site. In a rare case, if it is a daytime snow, perhaps salt the roadways, but don't plow when cars or students are there.

5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I've done a couple.... It was kinda cool because we never had to shovel the walks or salt.
    The janitors Shoveled and salted walks
    THe maintenance people Salted the lots

All i know is the best thing is to get there EARLY Before the Teachers AND ANY students. Usually the teachers get there an hour to an hour and a half before school.

GET A SITE PLAN!!!!!!!
    without a site plan you will pretty much be f***Ed Because im not sure if you guys have staked but its not worth it! No matter what school Most if not all of the stakes will be pulled before you get there!

Also if you MUST plow during the day its best to plow after the morning rush but BEFORE school lets out!

If there are too many cars during the day, do the bare minimum and plow the main Lanes of traffic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. Moonlighter

7. Moonlighter

Thanks guys this is just what I was looking for, I have a need to be very well prepared in what I do. I will make sure I get the site plans this week, so I can go inspect them with out snow cover. There will be a separate crew doing sidewalks with a jeep, and shoveling.

8. awddsm1

awddsm1 Senior Member

I've done a local school dist. for 2 years now...

coordinate where they want the snow piled... can be an issue with kids climbing on the piles at recess, plus visability issues.

And as the others said, plan on staying clear if there are kids there. Most of the time if it's that bad during the day they'll let school out early, or will call it that morning anyway. If you're still there and kids are arriving, you're screwed. We got in a bind once and were running late, and as soon as parents started dropping off kids, all he!! broke loose... wasn't a thing I could do without being in someone's way. And of course, no one was willing to give an inch to let me finish. Ended up having to come back after school and clean up.

9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if it applies as a sub but it's always a good idea to introduce yourself to the principal or superintendant. I use to plow a school that on paper was "no trucks after 8;00am" a morning daycare started coming in at 6:45am everyday. Big difference in time alloted.

10. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

If he is a sub he should NOT be introducing himself to anyone. He needs to deal with his boss/ super

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I would think a prinicipal would have better things to do than to chew the fat with the plow guy.

12. Moonlighter

All kinds of good points guys, I would only talk to school officials if they approach my truck.

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

The school I do has to be done and I have be gone by 6am like most others I dont have do walks thats nice One thing is nice there no cars in lot over nite open pushing

14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Totally different around here. If school is in while it's snowing, we're still expected to be there. Of course, most times if it's snowing badly, school is called off. I would most definitely chat regularly with the school personnel, especially the maintenance staff and bus drivers who are most affected by your snow plowing. If they are happy, everyone is happy.

15. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

A buddy of mine used to plow schools in a bobcat in a very wealthy area around here. he said it was hell when he had to plow the schools when they where open. parents dropping or picking up kids wouldnt pay any mind to him and would block him in or cut him off, not something id want to deal with.

16. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Lol i dont know why everyone is so scared of plowing a school when its open. Usually it doesnt happen often but if we get 3" while the "kiddys" are in school we come (4 4500's) and plow all the main isles! We plow the whole district so we gotta be on the ball every time! During the hours of 9-1 there are NOOOO kids out! We windrow and push forward as much as we can!

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Most schools around here have speed bumps, especially the High Schools.
    Along with everything mentioned above.
    The nice thing about schools is when they're closed for weather they typically can take a back seat to other accounts.