1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing School districts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Nov 19, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Ok so i have the opportunity of plowing a local school district....
    ITS ONLY PLOWING (thankk god)
    but for 5 schools within a 10Mile radius
    So heres how it would work.....

-if it snows during the night and is done/ almost done my 4AM I plow i plow
    - If it snows like 5" during the school day i dont have to do it.
    So if it starts snowing at 8AM and there is 5in. by 2PM i dont have to do it the schools maintenance dept. does it....

seems like they just dont want to pay their guys over time.......

would you plow it???
    And yes im fully capable to do it.
    but the hassle.......
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

School districts are great.

They pay!!!! Anymore that is huge.

I was plowing schools for years and the only problem that we run into was that we had a two inch trigger. So if it snowed like 2.5 inches, they would call it 2" and they would have their guys come in and plow. That took away from alot of our pushes. Alot of money we never recived. It sucks when you have tons of equipment sitting waiting to plow and they never call.

Also, they throw their own salt, money lost again, all those 1" snows, no hours.

When I first started plowing them, they would dispatch at like 10:00pm allowing less equipment and more hours per truck. Through the past few years, they figured out the last possible minute that they could dispatch us and we could still get it done, so then after they figured it out, every snow was a full out race to get it done before our 6:00am cut off.

If you can deal with those things, they are great!
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We do work for a couple school districts as well. Good payers for sure.
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

My largest account is for an independent school bus company.They want whatever it takes for the buses to run and money always seems like it's never an object.I think half the time though when it comes to de-icing,they always want more Magic just so the mostly either handicapped or elderly drivers don't slip from their cars to their bus.:D
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We do work for a couple school districts as well. Good payers for sure.
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Schools are great, but you had better have a couple pieces of equipment for big snow. We have hourly rates for the district we do. Pretty much like you said, to reduce overtime and for big storms. The grounds department will handle any minimal storms.
  7. alwayz-plowin

Yeah i think im gonna do it.
    Looks like its gonna be fun!
    But yeah the principal did say it will be an on call type thing...
    But any weekend snows we deff. got it!
    Also they want me to plow majority of the snow in one corner of the lot at the high school because i guess the grounds dept. moves it or melts it....(i guess thats what they do after school hours lol)
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

hope it works out well for you
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Been plowing schools for years. One of the best type of commercial accounts in my experience. If school is closed for the storm, just keep the building accessible and clean up when it's all over. Same for weekends. Just make sure you have good communication. For example, one of my schools is open during snow days for parents that work. So I need to keep one section clear. And don't forget about basketball practice and weekend playoffs.

The two inch trigger is a joke though. If it snows, I plow. Period.
  10. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Our school district does similar to this. They plow during the day and at 3AM they and one contractor comes in to clean up. They also do their own salting. It only makes sence for them too as they can take from the state or county supplies at a cost cheaper than what we can purchase for.

To put it simply this is the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned, if it saves us on taxes I'm for it in this economy. And yes, I'd still be on board with this strategy if I was the contractor plowing for them.
  11. alwayz-plowin

Yeah they have a big 8 yard+ dump truck that they outfit in addition to one pickup that they salt with.....
    Which sucks because i could spray everything and have some extra cash in my pocket!
  12. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We love schools, they are a big part of our business. In 1 district we look after 6, in another district we look after 8.

The trigger for the 6 schools is 2", the trigger for the 8 schools is 2.5" - plus we do all the salting at both.

No problems with $$, they always pay (but it is slow sometimes)
  13. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

We plow the 8 local schools in ower town. If it snows we plow and salt we make the call. The money is always there also. Good luck and have good year.
  14. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We love our schools.

Where else do you get winter breaks??...One in december and another in March!!

Closed on the weekends.

Nobody there at night,

They dont want you there during the day.

They dont want piles higher than 3 ft which equals lots of off site removals. $$$
  15. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I can see where schools would be good accounts. I seriously considered bidding a school district near me this year. 3 schools all together in one huge complex then 2 smaller elementary schools about 10 miles away in either direction. I decided it was more than I could handle for this year, didn't want to have to use a lot of subs or rent more equipment. Not a lot of competition in the bidding though, so I might have my eyes on it in a year or two... I hear the money is always there and no complaining about the price, but it better be spotless and spotless when they want it spotless! Too easy to have a slip and fall. That would be my biggest concern, an idiot kid getting hurt and their idiot parents jumping up and down at the chance of a lawsuit. Just seems like the risk would be higher than a typical comm. property, but I guess it can happen anywhere else just as easy. Good luck.
  16. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I do 2 schools they are great, they allways pay
    they want it bidded at a per push not to exceide a rate for the season with salting extra and no limit.
    we allways salt after every storm, not just for the slip and fall but also if we happen to go over 30 events
    for the season we still get payed. if it snows all day school is cancled so you just keep it accsesable for
    contractors and emergencys but still get full pay. keep it open on weekends for eventand we make the call if it needs service.
    I wouldnt hesitate for a minute taking a school on for an account.
  17. alwayz-plowin

Hahah thanks guys!
    i know you prob dont care but i got the account for the schools!
    No Salt No Shoveling except at the front door and Receiving door (thats where imma salt/spray!)
    Cant wait!
    We should be able to fly through those quick anyway!

They did tell me one REALLY Important thing:

They said if they catch us there with out our LED's on we can be fired mid season.....

So im going to have to tell the guys they better be on Awake when they plow these lots!
  18. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

Ive been doing a school district (10 schools) for 5 yrs and just signed for another 3yrs. They a great, they always pay. And never question anything I do. I keep a really good line of communtication with them. I do all the plowing and salting. And because of after school activitys you really need to keep things plowed on off days and weekends. I just have to really follow there activity lists that they give me and post on there site.
    Depending on whats going on with the activitys it may only be drives and partial lots for the evenings or weekends but there is always something.

GARRETTWOOD Junior Member

Not here to many bidders they have the hourly rate down to nothing . Make out better on driveways.
  20. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

glad to hear the good comments on schools. we do 2 private scholls and just picked up 22 schools in our area.... i will let you know how it goes