1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Salting Ratio

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ipushsnow, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

What do you charge for salting as a percentage of what you charge for plowing? I will clarify:
    Say you plow a lot for $100, what will you charge to salt that lot? $75 $90, $100, $120???

I know each lot may vary, it may be a PIA lot with a lot of obstructions so you are high on the plowing as compared to the salting, but I am looking for an average.

This past year I have been at 100%, what I charge to plow is what I charge to salt. I was looking at adjusting my prices just a little bit, and if I do what I plan the salting will actually be a little more than the plowing. The thing is it doesn't really seem normal to charge more for salting than plowing. I know, prices are up and everything else, but after years of salting being less than plowing it just seems a little wierd. Wanted to get a little input from the brothers to see what you guys are doing and experiencing.

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You are not far-flung in your assessment.
  3. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Does that mean I am near flung?
  4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I agree...... It's about equal but varies based on shapes of the lot.
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

way to go ipushsnow, you slam me in another thread and here you dont know what you should be charging. WOW How about we get back on the right foot?
  7. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I know I'm in a completely different area, but what I'm finding is that salt is around 85 to 120% the price of plowing. A difficult lot with islands and back dragging seems to be about 85% and a wide open easily plowed lot can be up to the 120%.

Ipush I think you are right on the money.
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Alot will depend on the price of salt next year.
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I thought your -60* and $1000/ ton comments where a little out there too

What he said

120% will be about the norm for us next year
  10. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Alright so I am not too far off by going higher on the salt, it just seemed unnatural to charge more for salting than plowing.

Maybe this would have been a good WWGD question. (What would Grandview do?)

Deicepro, don't take that as a slam, I was just repeating what you have posted. You have a liquid that cuts salt usage in half, you still bill for the full amount though, it's miraculous, it melts to -60, and if someone is interested they should PM you. If I offended you, much apologies.
  11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I was saying, you just explained it better!
  12. cod8825

cod8825 Member

Although I am in Kansas City and we do not get anywhere near the snow you probably receive we almost exclusively charge about 110% to 115% more for salting than plowing. First it is a city wide thing we are psycho aggressive on any snow event as generally we will get about 6 to 9 in a season. Are salt always comes in a little higher than the rest of the season. This winter we paid $90 a ton and that was by pre-ordering it. We charge typically $120 an acre so we would charge generally $140 to $!%)for salting.