1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Rough & Different textured Surfaces

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Looking for some way of making the plowing job easier when plowing rough surfaces.

I have my shoes set to flush with the blade, which works great just about everywhere else, but there is a job that I have to do where it's a road that's paved, that goes into stone, that returns back to paved, and it full of root risen bumps from the trees that line the driveway. There's potholes in the stone section and that doesn't help at all. I've found the only way to plow it is by going extremely slow.... I mean, barely moving, otherwise the plow slams the surfaces as they change. Can't afford to break my only plow...

Is there any suggestions on how to adjust the shoes on these types of surfaces ? Really annoying to have to plow at the speed where a turtle could pass me by and laugh at me for going so slow...

Thanks !

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:
    Take the shoes off! In my contracts, it says we are not responsible for any damage done to driveway or parking lot!

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Those jobs I dont do If they cant fix there lot or drive I wont do them Its not worth it

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Are you suggesting that the shoes are causing the truck to hit harder, or catch the ruts, or what ? Curious to the reasons why to remove the shoes.

I thought the shoes were there to allow for adjustment for different surfaces.

Your experiences ???

Thanks again. looking to understand from those experienced more than myself.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I have to do it for this season. Not much choice in the matter, unless I want to starve:laughing: or maybe I meant this ::cry:

6. tread lightly services

tread lightly services Member

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the potholes are extreme the shoes can get caught in them and rip right off the plow. On my wide-out there are no shoes and I have one ruff gravel lot. I just try to take some of the weight off the blade by liftin it up a bit so it doesn't float. That kinda carries the edge across the holes but certainly doesn't scrape as clean.

8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

The shoes dig in on gravel drives, plus you don't get as clean of a job when you plow with shoes.

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Thanks..

The shoes are coming off..... in the next storm...

Most appreciated.!