1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing roads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by a palustris, Dec 26, 2002.

1. a palustris

a palustris Member

I was driving along today on a main road in a very affluent area. The road had been plowed, but there was a lot left behind which had traffic moving very slowly, and there were no town trucks in sight pushing snow. I was thinking, for a kind of PR deal to drop the plow and push the snow along the road, just to where I am going. Figure the people behind me would be very happy about this and maybe give me some business. Any thoughts?
  2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

do you really think people are going to call you for doing that??
    they won`t even give it a second thought.they have somewhere to go.besides they will think your a town truck or dot.why damage your plow or truck? your not getting paid to do it right?
    i would get a playboy model and have her sit in a hot tub in the back of your truck.
  3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Yesterday.... I plowed an ally for a friends mom... they where burried and the town trucks quit running, never touched the ally. Some guy in the ally seen me and thanked me.

Anyway, I get a call on my answering machine today from some lady.

"Are you the guy who does all the ally's for the town? I have an ally and its not done yet, I'd apreciate it if you could get my ally"

4. cbr954plower

cbr954plower Junior Member

Well my suggestion is be nice, but do not plow the streets unless you get written permission from your streets and sanitation.

Had a friend of mine who owned a home in a culdisack (spelling?), city crews would come through and one cut it... straight path in and out that is it.

He got in the habit of cleaning the rest with his plow truck. About the third season in to it during the summer time, a city employee shows up with a bill for "Pot hole repair" claiming his plowing destroyed the asphalt, funny thing is the whole street looked like crap.

First of all unless you have a "medium speed" blade and full permission from the city it is like dancing on eggs.

I would not do it

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Your insurance will not cover you if you plow municipal streets. You can be held liable and named in a lawsuit. You can be held responsible for any repairs to the street.

I will not plow even the road in front of my house and I'm out in the country.
  6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I would think many of those municipal plow operators would be union people and from the experiences I have come across is, generally they don't like work taken away from them, even if it is "piling up".;)
  7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

well I did the 2 main roads in our neighborhood because we had family coming over and the guy 2 doors down gave me $50 cause he was throwing a big party and was expecting 40 guests. our roads are tar & chip roads do I dont care if the city complains, I would rather have my guests & my 85 year old great g'ma be SAFE!

8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i do my side of the road in front of my house and thats it.i know everyone in the public works dept so i know they don`t care.but if your town plow drivers see u doing the street they will report you asap.thats what i use to do when i plowed for my town.really i reported only the A** ***** that would push snow in the middle of the street or across the street.you know the lowballers.i've hit a few guys to in the 3 years i was there.hit some atvs to boy did that suck
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

In my area it is illegal to drop your plow anywhere on a city road except if you are pushing it across the street from like a lot or a drive. I've heard of guys who have like plowed their own streets and gotten fined for it :(
  10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

I'd be careful plowing public roadways. Sometimes I plow the entrance to my subdivision since so many of my neighbors get stuck there. I'm real careful and only plow when it's really bad. My insurance company would not approve of it.
  11. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

I have thought about doing kinda the same thing... for a short while... then woke up... what does happen if you break your plow ... hitting a man hole cover ... a curb.. whatever ... for a freebee.... the wear and tear to hope that some of the people down in westcester area?? I would guess might see you and not thing that your working for the town and actually call... I would not do it..... most people would probaly think that you just doing your job and not trying to drive business... excuss the punn.....you might get better publisity plowing a battered womans shelter or a group home etc...

Mike did you use to live near mackey's yard by the town garage?? :waving:
  12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I actually do alot of "on the street" plowing...

I do in the city (if you call leadville a city) houses which are usually on 25' foot lots, just the parking spots in front of the house. I usually push the snow to edges or down to a parking spot in front of an empty lot. Quick and easy money and have 10 of these as seasonals. No one cares here, not the city nor the police. The city streets are 40 - 45 feet wide with parallel parking on both sides. The city comes by with a 12' blade on loader and does two swipes, and leaves 10-12 feet on each side snow filled.

The only problem I have is the FRIGGIN neighbors. "Why didn't you do my house, You got a snowflake on my sidewalk...yada yada yada." Usually I can tell when I get some nutcase who is following me around the block. I ignore them till they catch up to me in my next parking lot. They cannot believe that I am not a "city guy". I give them a rate quote (usually high) and then they start swearing.

Kinda fun actually. I had one lady follow me for 1/2 hour when I was zippin around town in the skid steer.
  13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

were you talking to me or someone else?....lol.you know which town i live in???????
  14. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

mike yes you... your newtown correct??
  15. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

no bud east haven.just like the song christmas in east staven...lol lol
  16. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

sorry mike though you were up in newtown... that is someone else
  17. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I use to plow my street after I was finished with my own stuff. The contractor that plows for the town thinks 3 feet from each curb is O.K. All I got was BS from a few of my neighbors about snow at the end of their driveway so F them and now they have no place to park, I only do the 2 spots in front of my house for my vehicles.
  18. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Only times when I've plowed snow off the roads is last year when the plow was fully raised & I was still pushing it... :)
    There's always the morons who are out there blowing & shoveling snow into piles on the roads. I love droping the blade just enough to pick some up & cover them with it. :nono:
  19. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

city plowing

Only part of the town that I plowed is the fire department driveway and entry in my town. Believe it or not the town has some FWD's, Oshkosh's and 4x internationals, monster plows, sanders, Euclids, Scoopmobiles, etc. but the firemen still shovelled their apron by hand. Is that dumb or what?