1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing roads?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dirt_Werx, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

Hey guys, just looking for some pointers and to see if anyone had any specific tips for plowing roads. My boss's trucks are plowing for the local township this winter and i will be driving an 03' f450 diesel,4 door, dually flatbed and was just wondering what i should pay attention too, driving speed and or anything else i should make myself aware of. thanks in advance for the help
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

All I know is WATCH OUT FOR MAN HOLE COVERS! & the drains at the corners of streets.
  3. john-boy

john-boy Member

clear it curb to curb!!!! otherwise mail wont get delivered!!
  4. makplow

makplow Senior Member

The most important thing to remember is to obey all the traffic laws. Even though your performing a service to the community. you still have to obey the laws. alot of people driving out there don`t have a clue on what your trying to do. they treat you like just another motorist going to buy a newspaper. Stay alert and focused at all times GOOD LUCK :waving:
  5. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

some tips

That's all I do with my crews, plowing with the town.

- Listen to your supervisor from the town and do everything they say.

- Don't plow driveways on their time.

- Watch for man hole / drain covers they suck and you will remember where the bad ones are.

- Most time stay around 20 - 25mph, the slower the better, less of a beating for your truck.

- Stay away from the curbs if you can let the towns trucks with the curb crusher blades do that sht.

- Take your time your getting paid by the hour.

- And bring a cooler with some sodas your gonna be out longer than doing parking lots would take.
  6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

You can say that again, the outfit that plows my towns' roads only clear the road wide enough to get one car past. Typically ther're at least 7 FEET away from the edge of the road!
  7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

where i plow in danvers, each route has two to three sub contracted trucks and usually a town dump truck, so i tell my guys to let the town beat the hell outta their trucks not mine , cause the town uses them big fixed blades (curb crushers as i like to call them) they are made to push the snow up and make nice banks along the curb, our fisher;s are not
  8. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Mike, I plow 16 tough streets in my town, but the super never said he would do that for me. I wish he did. I plowed the big storm 2 wks. ago by my lonely :eek:
  9. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

thanks so much guys, i have a basic idea of how it will work and ill be out with another one of our trucks a big old international which will be doing the big pushing I'm just gonna follow and do clean ups, intersections and culdesacs etc along with scraping up any trails he leaves. As far as taking orders from the town and potential traffic violations etc, luckily i don't really need to worry in regard to that. I'm fortunate enough to work for a co that is not only the biggest around but essentially owns the town lol, they own 600 acres in a small town, have 3 streets named after them and a majority of the township and police force is made up of family members. But thanks again for all the help as roads are new to me and was just curious. does anyone have an idea what a typical trigger to go out might be? just curious but can always ask my boss if i have to. thanks so much and keep the info coming its much appreciated
  10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

oh i hear ya, i had a route last year that i was on my own 90% of the time cause the town was never able to fill the dump truck with a driver and when they did it was usually one of the local janitors from say the school that had never plowed before, but all im saying is if you can save your truck do it. Last year i had a shiit box chevy dump, now i have my beautiful fords out there and really dont feel like fixing things because my guys hit curbs, so i tell them stay off the edge and let the town worry about that, it seems to have worked so far.
  11. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

where you at?

what town are you plowing for. The tiggers all depend upon how long the storm is supposed to be if its gonna change to rain and what time it hits. But usually i get called out if theres about 2.5 inches on the ground with more comming.
  12. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Thanx for the info. Mike, the big storm went well got to learn the rt. well after 15 hours straight. :waving:
  13. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

ill be plowing for the town of sharon, for Dick Morse Trucking & Excavating/ New Hope Farm- his wifes operation, shes the owner of the f450 ill be driving. thanks again for all the info guys, its great so keep it coming.
  14. - On any street that does not have a double yellow line done it, make ur first pass down it with the left hand edge of our blade in the center of the road that way you will split the snow going to the peoples driveway's/ sidewalks equally. We had people call up on us and complain we were putting to much snow on one side of the street.

- Any main road with yellow lines just stay on your side of the road.

- Mailboxes - here if we hit them with the plow or truck the town pays for the repair, if the snow being thrown of the plow hits the mailbox and it breaks the resident pays for the repair. check with the town your plowing for.

- Private contractors plowing across the road if it is illegal, as most who do it leave a mess in the road and their piles still in the travel lanes.

- You can ride along the curb edges with the our fisher's, it will not hurt the truck unless you start to peel the curb up. with practice you will be able to ride along the curb with no problems

- Manhole covers, catchbasins, cars parked on the street and people driving that don't need to be out in the strom will be your biggest obstacle.
  15. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Exactly what HighwayDept. says...but for those country roads....just take it slow..don't worry about finding the shoulder...the shoulder will find you..just take it slow..be careful...and watch out for the other guy driving on the road or street that your pushing..
  16. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

thanks so much guys, this is really good stuff, Highway dept- this is just the kinda stuff i was looking for keep it coming and im feeling better and better about this new job after every thread. thanx again guys and Merry Christmas.
  17. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Make sure you know the laws

Even know you'll be doing what the Township says, Check the state laws concerning service vehicles and snow removal equipment. Knowledge is everything. PA has a vehicle law (last time I checked)(I don't work public streets), that allowes service vehicles to drive through RED LIGHTS after a complete stop and safe passage is found. Small things like this can make or brake you. Running red lights ain't really that big a thing (might save you a bit of time), It only one of the things that shows your on the ball and up to date.

Also pre run your route before the snow with your trucks all geared up to plow.

J & B
  18. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

around here all the city and state plow trucks run lights. they slow alittle and make sure the coast is clear then just keep on going.
  19. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

We do 16 miles of dirt roads.. Now thats a challenge!

- I see DOT trucks around here steady with a 35mph in a 55mph zone.. Seems to work fine for them.

- Watch out for signs, mailboxes, parked cars, etc. We blew out a window with the last ice event plowing to close to the car (that wasn't supposed to be there). Ice chunk came off the edge of the plow and smashed the side window.

- Make sure you run warning strobes all the way around. People are idiots and usually don't pay attention to plow trucks.

There are more. Gotta get out and work now though..payup
  20. VAhighwayman

VAhighwayman Senior Member

Wish I only had 16 miles of dirt roads to do...try 185 miles which I push with the motor grader...fun time there!!