1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Roads

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by Mackman, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Anyone esle on here plow roads for your local township or any other type of roads. Or im i the only one?? I dont hear to many guys on here talking about plowing roads. :confused:

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I plow my own street because it is the primary road and the county dosn't get to it for at least 72 hours.. But I'm not complaining because I know some roads aren't plowed at all! I also know it is unlawful to plow the street because of liability issues, but no body on my street minds, infact their pleased I plow it!

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

We plow roads for the state. We also do a few driveways and a couple of small commercials.

4. ajslands

What about municpal such as municipal Irports? Or fire depts.

5. Mackman

from S.E. PA

All i ever plowed was roads. I dunno if i could do anything else. I know for a FACT i want no parts of driveways.

I think roads are the best. Always working with the storm and pushing forward 95% of time. Not this Reverse and Forward 100times in a parking lot. Plus we do alot of messing around. Hanging out at dunkin donuts for hours on end etc. Guess i have it kinda good.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Well, this explains why no work ever gets done, the roads always look like crap, and the municipalities always complain about not having enough money to pay the guys who plow snow... or who are supposed to be anyway.

7. ajslands

Hey do I need a dot number?

8. Mackman

from S.E. PA

No work ever gets done LMAO you dont have a clue. They dont let us go home intill 3-4 hours after we are done. Just to make sure everything is ok. So we do what we are told by the road master.

This township snow contract has been awarded to my unlce for the past 12 years. Must be doing something right. They love the way we handle things. Dont be mad cuz you prob. work for USM doing Walmarts for 200 per push.

LMAO thats great:nod:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. ajslands

Bahahhahahahhaa I can stop laughing! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

10. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Oh and just to let you know we get called out around 1-2 hours before the 1st flake comes down. So we ride around and throw alittle salt and then its back to dunkin for a hot cup while we kill time waiting for it to stick.

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

so you have everything plowed before the snow ends????

12. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

We plow with the storm so when it's done snowing we are pretty much done.We squirt some salt, see you later.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

No it means your uncle is paying off the right people. ;)

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't plow roads. But my uncle has a contract for 2 towns with a total of over 50 miles. He has 7 trucks with plows, wings, and sanders and a total of 4 drivers.

15. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Maybe i dont really know. But knowing my Uncle i wouldnt put it past him lol.

Hows he like doing roads??

16. mercer_me

I think he likes it pretty good. But since he is paid by the season he is allways praying for no snow.

17. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I dont blame him lol.

18. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

How does your equipment hold up plowing roads? I know i dropped my blade on my street just for the hell of it and i hit 3 manholes pretty good. Luckily no broken parts but it was not something i would want to deal with for 20 hours

19. Mackman

from S.E. PA

My stuff hold up good. I do the same 6 or 7 roads. So i know where all the manholes are at. I go real slow when i come up too them. Once you get to know where all the manholes etc are at it aint too bad. But i have to replace my cutting edge once a year.

20. mercer_me

My uncle said he has to wach out for stumps on the side of the road when he is winging the banks bank. Eaven going slow the wing will come up so hard that it will take the door out.