1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing roads, pay rates

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by 1/2tonthatcould, Sep 20, 2011.

1. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Im looking into putting my truck on a city, fitchburg, ma. It is a 98 gmc 3500, single rear axle 8 ft plow. Technically its a 1 ton but more meets the criteria of a 3/4 ton, as most people hear one ton and think dually 9 ft plow.

Anyways what do you guys think? Some roads are beat and hills can be steep, but I have to imagine if you go easy on your truck it pays off right? I do have 4wd, good tires and will be putting weight on the back, (flat bed body) any other suggestions?

There rates are $50 and $60 per hour depending on the size truck? Are these fair? what do yo u think it costs to run a truck like this, 5.7l gas. do they tend to stick the new guys on **** routes?
  2. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

I dont do roads but i wouldnt plow for less then 75 hr for roads you need to take into account your fuel and wear and tear on your truck, down here in hy they get anywhere from 65 and up depending on truck size and plow size, good luck
  3. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

gonna see

I have been thinking about looking into it for my local rds.I think you need good ins. though....I think i can make more doing lotz,but some of my customers are on willcall,and with the county i should be able to just do a route....hmmmmmmmmmmm gonna see.ILL be back
  4. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

How can you plow roads properly with a 3/4-ton truck and an 8-foot plow? What kind of roads are these? The residential roads we do cannot be done properly without a side wing on the truck. You can't round off the corners without one - they stay all square and jutting out into the traffic lane.
  5. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

small roads

some of our roads are barely wide enough for 2.5 cars to get through.All curvy,and sloping,and are the last to get done...sometimes it will be 3-4 days before the city gets to them....schools close down here on a chance of snow....roads are too dangerous.I am from Chicago,and have had wider Allys...so plenty to sub out.i will look into this and find out soon.Real busy with my day job/health to get to it now + its the WORLD CHICKEN FESTIVAL WEEK....yep ,were big time down here,and close off Main street for 4 days to play....K.F.C. is our claim to fame check it out http://chickenfestival.com/
  6. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

Massachusetts has alot of narrow windy roads, back roads, dead ends, neighboorhoods etc that get plowed with pickups, its pretty common down here. Just 2 years ago the state was hiring 3/4 ton pickups for the ramps
  7. GTLS

GTLS Member

Plowing in the dirty burg.... Doesn't sound like fun. Why not pick up some accounts for yourself and make that hourly wage in much less time?
  8. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Whats the payrate like,,,,per push,inch,hour.....shift? Thanks
  9. 1/2tonthatcould

1/2tonthatcould Member
    from MA

all by the hour, cities pay 3/4 ton trucks 50-55 depending on the city, one tons 60-70, backhoes are 75-90, loaders 90+
  10. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

My 3/4 ton gets just shy of 90 hr plowing for the city.
  11. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Thats why yer state is broke....ill take 90 per hr:eek:
  12. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Cost of living is very high up here. All the rates are very fair to both the contractor and the town. Plus, I hate to break it to you, but every state is broke.
  13. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

you got that right...ssoon it will get better...like id say 2012 just a guess....but pretty dam possitive!:salute:
  14. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

well if we get rid of this president maybe 2012 will be a different year ussmileyflag
  15. jerrywane

jerrywane Senior Member

Thats what i was shouting...........progressive m n f ers..leave us alone@ last:mad:
  16. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

100% brotha

Thumbs Up ussmileyflag
  17. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Best to calculate your costs before doing anything

If you are not sure what it is costing you to run your truck and plow based on your overhead and expenses I would certainly consider doing so. Check out a CD we have called know why you charge what you charge. You can calculate your cost per hour for your company and it is simple, accurate and professional.

Call if you have any questions or check it out online at www.profitsareus.com
  18. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Better check on insurance first. Most municipalities have minimum requirements. I plow for a very small town and need 2 mil Aggregate on my Gen. Liability and 1 mil on comm. vehicle policies. You'll go broke doing anything for 50-60 an hour. I'd be around 75-80 minimum here with a pickup. Plow only, no salt.
  19. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my town pays $100 per hour, and requires one million in liability insurance.
  20. benben

benben Junior Member
    from ny

what town in New Jersey are you talking about i would be interested in it.. i live in NY!