1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing roads and insurance

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 90plow, Aug 20, 2014.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

A friend of mine has a two years left on a three year contract for our county. It requires him to supply 10 trucks to plow the roads. Last year he had 7 and subbed three out. I'm considering buy a single axle dump that I could use year round and have a driver plow for him as a sub when the snow flys. Now he's not one to know much about insurance etc he just goes by the seat of his pants so I can't really ask him what I would be required to carry as. A sub.
    In your experience is road plowing much more to add to a commercial policy?

2. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

90 Plow, Which commercial policy are you referring to? General Liability (GL) insurance covers the trip/fall or in this case, the multi-car traffic accident/pile up due to icy roads after you have left the job site. Commercial auto insurance (truck insurance) covers the damage that you do or the injuries that you cause while driving your truck. The truck insurance policy doesn't need any attention if you are plowing roads because it's automatically covered (I'm talking NY, NJ here). The GL policy is another animal altogether. Even the best snow GL policies exclude coverage for plowing public roads and it's vey costly to buy the coverage ($50K at least), if you can get it at all. I hope that helps.

Ben/Insurance

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Yes it does it's just very confusing because as we all know if I crash the party that sues will sue everyone and ask questions later. I guess at this point it's not worth it for me.