1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Road with Personal Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jb1390, Feb 7, 2012.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Have an uncle with a toyota tacoma, and a western suburbanite, who I caught plowing the street-a fairly busy road. No amber lights, no hazards, just doing it out of "service to the mailman", who was struggling to make it through the windrow he was leaving because he was nowhere near the edge of the roadway, or the mailboxes.

I stopped and told him it was illegal to be plowing the roadway (CT), and hazardous, as my truck wouldn't even fit in the path he was clearing, causing it to pull to one side. He checked with a state trooper, that said he doesn't have an issue with it. Am I just being up tight, or does this bother anyone else?

BTW-he has plowed for 2 storms in his life that I know of.
  2. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

I don't know about CT as specific laws vary from state to state and locality to locality. Even if the state doesn't prohibit it, a city or town ordinance might.

Regardless of whether or not its illegal, its definitely a liability (especially without insurance and experience) I wouldn't take on unless contracted with the municipality.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If he's going to do it then he better do it right. the personal liability would be the only real reason there would be any issue and that could be moot under the Good Samaritan and/or Duty to Rescue law. You would have to reveiw your local statutes to be sure though.
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Just to clarify-he was nowhere near the mailman, who was going the other way. My uncle was making it more difficult for everyone to drive, because he was not clearing close enough to the edge of the road. I had to drive through the windrow he was making when passing another vehicle. There was no need for him to do this-it was snowing like crazy, and there was 3-4" of snow on the road. He was not doing this on a small residential drive-it was a state route, with a number.
  5. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

As long as it does not affect you I guess I would not worry about it. I'll go with your statement of you are being to "uptight".
  6. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Judging by the replies, and the view # with lack of replies, I think I agree. :salute::waving:
  7. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

not to mention making a bigger mess for the guy who is actually
    supposed to plow that road.
  8. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

The first time he hits a manhole cover or even a seem in the concrete, with a suburbanite :eek:will be the last time he will plow roads.