1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Resi's with 26,000 GVW 2wd???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Seasons, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

Question is, Can it be done??? I need a 2nd truck, a bigger truck to back up my 2500 and obviously tow/haul more. Ive been looking at 550/5500 trucks with 4x4. Great all around, do it all trucks! BUT, Im really leaning toward a real medium duty, International 4700/chevy6500/7500 truck for half the price.
    Definately more bang for the buck but a real step back in versatility.
    If its a PITA to hook up my 8.5 V plow with wings, to a 26k GVW truck and plow residentials IF my 2500 goes down, Im okay with that. If its impossible, well that would be a problem and I'll have to keep looking for a 550.
    So Im just curious if anyone has done it in a jam.
    My residential arent little suburban places. We are more rural/larger lots but still not sure if this would work at all.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 4700 that turns alot tighter than my 2500's. That being said I doubt they make a mount for your 8.5 to fit a large single axle dump. Furthermore I think you'll need at least 9 or 9.5 plow to be able to angle it and still clear your tire path so your not running over unplowed snow. I would stick with either buying a smaller truck, or getting a truck and plow to use as a spare rather than trying to put a little plow on a big truck.

3. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

5500 would be my cut off for resi's. Ford and dodge not chevy. The Kodiak/Topkick is too big.

4. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i have both trucks a 550 and a 7500 sterling 33k trucks i would not want to plow with the big one roads maybe but no resis would be a nightmare

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Mount wise you might be OK, as Fisher (or western, etc) all use the same mounts to my knowledge, (Fisher sells a 9 & 10' municiple plow with MM head gear). If you have enough weight in the back it would be OK. You'll really need to watch the plow as that is the weak link if you hit somthing. A 8'-6" V plow is designed for trucks weighing half (or less) what yours will. If you hit somthing that plow will probably get screwed up. I know on my International (29,000 GVW) with the western heavyweight, it doesn't budge the front end when you lift it.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

theres a guy on here who posted a link of him plowing resi with his kodiac n blizzard plow. He seemed to be fine however he did have long driveways

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That guy is in Ontario and that drive is over a quarter mile. Obviously they have their place.

But, If you're doing 50 or so resi's you'll drive yourself nuts with anything bigger than light truck size/wheelbase. How are you going to plow drives during holidays, Like today, when all cars are parked up and down the street. Sometimes in the drive you intend to plow, as I discovered today, people think foreclosures are free parking ramps. You Gotta be able to thread the needle so to speak in residential. Hard to do with a single axle dump.

8. Four Seasons

Can you get around driveways? Not easily, i know, but in a break down of the pickup, would you do it or call a sub? I have a Hiniker 8.5. I would add wings to get it to 9.5 but I realize it would be light on a truck that size.

I can get a nice, low mile DT466 for 15k. Looking at 30k for a kodiak without a dump body. 35+ with a dump. That is with 4wd which is nice but again, over double the price.

9. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Possible, yes. Practical, no.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I would be concerned with the weight. I cracked my driveway pretty bad with our Kodiak one winter. I was just parking in the drive, not plowing it.

11. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i would be afraid of the liability esp of cracked concrete even if you didn't do it a customer sees that truck on their drive. any cracks that develops they will be blaming you.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We just got it this year. For us chances are we will never use it on residentials, as I have about 14 smaller (Jeep & P/U's) available between co owned & our reg subs. However if I were still a smaller contractor, only having a couple trucks & nothing else were available (durring a storm). You use what you have.

13. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

i'd use a truck that size if i had nothing else but i can hardly pull in a driveway with that size truck to dump some mulch with out people getting nervous of there concrete driveways, but good luck hopefully no one will mind it if you do go that route

14. Four Seasons

thanks. there are actually no concrete driveways around here. Most are gravel. Some are paved.

15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't attempt that. Way too big.

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Kinda like using a 12lbs sledge to install finish nails.:D

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Nothing wrong with that. :laughing:

18. demonic

demonic Junior Member

I have a 95 topkick I shorten and mounted a dually box on it. It has a really sharp turning radius being that it was once 14ft longer. The 11r22.5 tires offer ground clearance that light trucks can't get. I have a 6000lbs block in the back. I haven't had an issue with traction. My weakness is the plow. Its an older unimount that I widen to 10ft and built my own mounts. Previous statements are correct that there is a lot of weight momentum moving forward when you hit something the plow tends to give first. I'm trying to avoid any run-ins but just front pushing up banks I'm bending things. I keep welding more steel on. I plan on finding a Falls plow this summer and plumbing up a hyd system. I live near downtown st paul minnesota so everything I do it tight areas. The turn radius is awesome for what I do. The wide blade can be an issue on some city streets since people are inconsiderate and brain dead. Also the fact that all I can see of the plow is the 3ft guide posts on each end gives ya I weird "whered it go" sensation. Otherwise the truck works fine for what I do with it. I put air ride under the back with 12k bags but its a little too squishy. Time for a sway bar.

19. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I plow some driveways with my 3500 mason dump and thats even pushing it. especially in 4wd when its harder to turn. it takes me longer to line up the truck straight into the driveway than it does to plow it sometimes. not only to you have to manuever the dually dump body but the 9' plow adds alot of extra length.

20. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

You might consider a cabover for this. We have an ultra short Mack tractor for doing specialty work in the city (maneuverability is critical). Super cheap, if you can find them. Built like tanks (weigh 13,500), automatics, have PTO provisions, air ride. Can't beat 'em, and you could fit a 6-yard spreader on it easily--maybe bigger. And they run a 111" wheelbase. (tandems run a 138")

[​IMG]

Purchase price...$5500 for ours. Haven't seen a single axle over $8000.

:D