1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing residentials and what time to do them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ezjarecki, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ezjarecki

ezjarecki Junior Member
    from omaha

im starting to get residential accounts and i was curious when to plow them? im thinking to do them close to when the snow is done if it is only being like 6 inches or so?? but do most people do them before 7 am??and do you do repeat trips for them??

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I usually try to wait til the snow stops, unless it is a huge storm.

Also, I state in my contract plowing is USUALLY completed by 7AM

Also, I put in there I plow once per 24 hour period. But, I will go out more often if it is a "good business decision".

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

every 2 in ill be there

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Most if not all driveways will be opened up completely or enough by 7am for people to get out. As we obviously can't be 40 places at once, someone is first, and someone is last. Making it known you were there (small accumulation since you plowed) is enough for most of my customers, and I'll be back to clean things up or keep it open from what the city plows leave behind. Don't try to have everything prettied up for 7; leave it rough but adequate so everyone is serviced as close to 7, and clean things up on the second pass. My radius isn't so large that it's hard to get anywhere in 10 minutes. I can often get around my route in the wee morning hours in about 3 hours, and that's historically been with a cleaner plowing than I SHOULD do to ensure everyone is opened close to 7, so that's a change in my plan for this year. I make a few return visits in each accumulation range for my billing. I'm typically around my route 3 times (rough, complete, city cleanup).

5. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I have dedicated trucks for residential vs commercial. So we go to our resi's at the end of the storm. Of coarse if there is a big storm we will do more than one (in contract). And if it is a day storm, most of my customers work, so we will clear once before work is done so they can get into their garages. If it is in the middle of the night then we do them, but usually we are ahead of the township/city trucks so we have to go back and clean up that mess. Our resi route is about 4 hours one time through.

6. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I do all commercial in the early hours and start resi's usually mid morning 9am or later. They are all made aware of it though and don't really care when it's done as long as it's clear for when they get home. I'm sure we'll get some calls when 12" falls and someone can't get out but commercial is the bread and butter and has too be handled first in our case.

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

Interesting, we have a good mix of both, but our residential is way better paying than commercial. In 4 hours we will triple what we can make per hour or per push in commercial (excluding salt of coarse). Nobody wants resi's around here, no competition, that's our niche, so we pretty much charge what we want (everyone wants commercial because there easy, but too much competition drives that price down too much).

8. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

and how do you charge?

9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I plowed last night and this morning it was melting so no need to do another push unless its necessary. Most bad storms I can go out two or three times...when? I have a 2 inch trigger and can get my houses done in 6 o 7 hours depending on depth of snow.

10. RCSLINC

RCSLINC Junior Member

We do over 2500 driveways, I found they pay better than commerical and now I do not work in the summer.

11. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

did you put an extra 0 there? 2500?!?!

at an average of say $15 per because im sure you must be doing condos or something small and cheap thats $37500 per storm and say an average of 15 times per year and thats $562,500.

i would hate to be your office manager.

12. martyman

martyman Senior Member

must be a large company with a fleet and crews?

13. Winterized

Winterized Senior Member

im starting to get residential accounts and i was curious when to plow them? im thinking to do them close to when the snow is done if it is only being like 6 inches or so?? but do most people do them before 7 am??and do you do repeat trips for them??

I only have a handful of resi accounts.....I have no truck plow.... all blower and shovel. I never go out until the City plows are done if it is a street plowing event. Otherwise driveways have a windrow not cleared.

Never had anybody unhappy. Suppose it may not work if I had 20 30 accounts.

14. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

And everyone thinks I'm insane for doing the amount of resi I do, we do about 130 and that is a lot for my area, we do not leave a 2-3 town area.
    Well done!

15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We have a ranger that does a little bit of commercial work (1 hour), then starts 3 group homes (proper houses) and then hits up resi's. It does about 30 resi's and will do them concurrently with our townhomes. We don't salt any resi's, which makes the timing a little more important. You don't want to hit them too early unless you don't have a choice during a storm. Hopefully you can start them at 2am in a perfect world when the storm has just ended. With townhomes we now do about 1000 driveways and because they get a heavy salt, it doesn't matter as much because the salt will take care of that extra 1.5 that fell during our route.

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

My customers want to got to work! So starting at 9:00 AM is no good. I get all 97 of my customers out by 7:00 AM They dont mind if they cant get in at night so finishing by 5:00 is not important.

17. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

really? What difference is it getting in or getting out?

It is all about the timing of the storm, but if there is a daytime snowfall I would do what I could to get things done by 5 pm... you don't need to?

18. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I didn't say they dont need plowing in the PM
    I try to get them in by 5:00 PM but unlike in the AM its not the end of the world if I dont get to them until 7:00pm

19. wls

wls Senior Member

I do all my commercial first, start usually if possible by 4:00am, then it sort of depends on what kind of vehicle they drive, if they have a 4 wheel drive, then they know they will be on the later of the list. I usually try to wait till the storm is over, but start the res at 4" regardless.

20. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Just remember don't show up to early or show up late..They will call for just about everything..