1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Residential Lots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by famouslee99gt, Jan 3, 2008.

1. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I am in my second year of plowing snow, but I also have my farm experience behind my belt. Last year, all I plowed was a couple driveways and the lot at my church. This year I am plowing the lot at the car dealership I work at. I like the idea of the big open lot, but am possibly interested in doing some residential next year.

About 2-3 miles from home, they are building a new housing subdivision and was considering maybe next year pick up a couple of drives. How do you residential plower's do it, drag the snow onto the street and push it elsewhere or push it off the side driveway?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Where is this else where?

It is there snow it should stay on there property unless your going to truck it away.

In most if not all states it is illegal to deposit snow on a roadway or to push the snow across a roadway.;)

You need to find a place on there property to stack the snow..:waving:
  3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto what SF said, and I'll add that you can often push snow to the left or right of a driveway onto the lawn, or even to the end of a driveway if it is to one side of the house. Often driveways on one side of a house can be the easiest to clear, as there should be very little back dragging or lawn tear from angling off to one side.
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

a couple rough drawings

check these out

5. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I agree, I sub contract plow for my town and guys doing drive ways are always pushing out into the streets and making a huge mess. They even have huge piles that stick out into the street quite a ways. Alot of them I plow out, but after the storm is over and they do it I can't budge it the next storm when it turns too ice.

6. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

If I have to, I push it into the street and then angle blade it back onto the curb in front of the house. I never push it across the street.
  7. famouslee99gt

famouslee99gt Member

I know not to push the snow out into the street and leave it. At this time, that subdivision has not been annexed into the town, so I'm not sure who is plowing it at the moment. My guess is that it will be annexed by next year and the town will be plowing by then.

I had a thought about a week ago to find out about plowing the subdivision in all, streets and houses, but that was probably a premature idea, later realizing that the town will most likely do the streets.
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the more resi's you plow the more you realize that they do not design houses for snow removal. if they were smart they would make it so you did not have to do any back dragging at all.