1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing residential drives

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Dec 7, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

How do most of you guys plow residential drives. In my area you are allowed to put snow across the street here so that's not a problem. Do you just turn in to the drive and drop the plow and push the snow to the back and pile it there, or do you drive all the way in the back and backdrag to the street and push it on the tree lawn. Or do you back in and push it all forward to the tree lawn? Where would you consider to be the best place to stack the snow on a residential drive?
  2. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We try to clear the driveway in as few moves/shifts as possible. Back dragging away from a garage and then pulling out to the street to turn around and then back in to push the snow out to the tree lawn or across the street in my opinion is slower than trying to find locations to put the snow in side the property as you plow up the drive.

I try to windrow as much snow as I can off to the sides, a little speed with an angled blade and you can throw snow off to the side. I'll stack snow in the back as long as I'm not going to block myself in. You have to think three storms ahead and where will you be putting the snow. Sometimes I'll back drag light snow falls and loose the snow in the street if it has not been plowed/salted by the city. Or back drag to the apron and then punch the apron. If I can push in, turn around in the back and push back out that's great, but you can't do this on all drives depending on the truck and the site.

Hope this helps.
  3. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I go around and open up the ends only by pushing it to each side of the end of the driveway. The the customer can get to work. I come back later and clean the rest.

I will plow straight in the driveway with the blade angled and at the last possible second, turn to the side you're angling to and repeat.

To clean the rest it depends on if it has a garage at the end. You have to backdrag a bit in this case. One way to backdrag is clear all the snow possible in the driveway, then plow the last little bit by the garage towards the garage and at the last second lift the blade over the small pile you've made and backdrag that. This method help to reduce the amount of snow that gets compacted although it's not perfect. It also takes more time.
    Good luck
  4. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I always try to push the snow inward, when possible. I can do this at about 75% of the driveways I have. Many houses have a double garage that is perpendicular to the driveway, in other words they have to make a right or left turn to get in the garage. So I can plow straight in and not be blocking anything with the snow. Like LawnLad said, try to do as few moves/shifts as possible. Backdragging and plowing out to the street is time consuming. Mike
  5. copandplower

copandplower Member

In my area you cant push across the street (DOT will complain). Most of my drives have garages attached to the house so in that case I back blade to the end of the drive where it meets the street then push the pile onto the grass on the oposite side of the mail box. This only takes a couple min per drive. On a few drives where I sub there are no garages at the end, the garages are on the side of the house so I can push straight up the drive from the street and push the pile past the garage, easy to do and super fast. Those are the 2 basic types of drives and methods. Time management is very important. Do whatever is the most direct way to get it done. If you spend time back blading then backing in then pushing then repositioning to push again yor waisting too much time at one account.

6. copandplower

copandplower Member

You guys are fast or I type to slow...you said everything I said before I could finish saying it. LOL
  7. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I back in up as close to the garage as possible. Drop the front blade, then drop the rear blade and put the truck if foward gear and hit the gas! If it is a wide driveway I move the truck over and repeat this. usually 2 swipes and I am finished! No more back dragging for me It is too inefficiant and will not do as good of job as I can do with my rear blade. Not to mention how good it works on truck docks.
  8. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

Hey Rick-How's the snow in Rochester so far? I went to school at SUNY Oswego and man was that a lot of snow! Coming from down here where some winters it doesn't snow at all. Had a lot of fun up there."Yeah, Mom and Dad, I was at the library" To bad they didn't know that was a bar:drinkup: Mike
  9. copandplower

copandplower Member

We have about 25" so far this year, they are calling for more tonight. Oswego is a very cool college town Im sure you had fun. Good luck this year, hope you get a lot of snow.

10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

around here you can not push across the street.Depends on how the driveway is set up most of the time you can push striaght and then lift as you push on the lawn.
  11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Every drive involves a different strategy. Most of my drives are straight and dead end to a garage. There is back blading to do at almost every drive so I do that first. I drive in and pull it from the garage then back in and plow it out the drive and across the street. Be very careful of the neighbors lawn though or whatever is there. Other times I can't push across so as I plow by the mailbox, I angle my plow and push everthing down the road where its flung to the side of the street.

Always plow the street before the driveway so the city plow doesn't fill in the end of the drive. This saves major time since there is no need to clean up the end of the drive later on in the day unless the customer is willing to pay for it.