1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing remote locations...How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Today I secured a contract with a telecommunications company. They have 3 locations right in town and 1 location way out in the sticks (where there's a tower). We agreed upon a per hour rate that is very much to my liking. HOWEVER, the tower is easily 20 miles out of town and it's only going to take about 15 minutes to plow it out once I'm there.

Can I get away with charging drive time to and from the location or do I just take it on the chin and be happy with what I'm making on the other 3 locations? I guess I'd just like to hear what some of you do and I'll go from there.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You could try a split contract. This much for the 3 and this much for the last one.But make it all or nothing ,because they may stick you with the far out one only . Just my thought.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

If its really to far for you find someone out that way and sub it out. That way you still collect on all four, pay a small fee to someone els and plow the others yourself.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

If your billing by the hour then just add the time on the route start at x time lot 1 then the stop time would be the arrival time on lot 2 and so on but you must do them in series 1,2,3,4,

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

do they need it plowed right after the storm or could it wait till the everything else is done?

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you landed the contract already then what did you work out or sign for. Time on site or travel time also. I think it is a little late for the question. Just my .02

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I expected a reply like this. My thought process was that I'll be making enough on the 3 jobs in town that the 4th one wouldn't have to be a "money maker" but none-the-less I don't want to do it for nothing.

If I can charge for travel time then all 4 locations will be nice little honey pots.

Thanks for your concern.

8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

What they don't know won't hurt them.

9. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

Well, when you're driving to the site it's not to bake cookies, it's to plow it, SO CHARGE for the hours or time it took to get there... easy isn't it??

:)

10. RipT

RipT Senior Member

It may already have been said in different words, but you could charge the time TO the site (plus the actual plowing time) but not the return or full round trip road time. Lots of other trades charge this way.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Charge for the travel time, if they don't like it, trust me you'll hear about it, then adjust accordingly.

12. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

You just secured a contract - what does the contract say?

13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

how about min 1/2 hr time on location #4 to start the job so you get a few extra bucks to cover and then thay dont feel shafted on extra money.

14. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

I have a buddy that secured a contract with several wireless companies the year before last (05-06) that consisted of snow removal for 10 remote tower sites only. his round trip for the day was over 200 miles(in less than ideal conditions, obvouisly). but he was making more (double) on those 10 sites than I make on 36 accounts. & my rates are fairly steep for my area.

dont be afraid to ask for what you think it is worth...the worst they can do is counter offer less.