1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing range

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowbill, Feb 19, 2013.

1. plowbill

plowbill Junior Member

I have a 2012 chevy 1500 with a V6 engine. I have been plowing in low range at all times. I have had a problem with the engine over heating. Normal temp 210 goes up to 240 at times. Should I plow in low or high range? Might this affect the over heating problem? Thanks.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Unless you absolutely need the extra torque from 4x4 L,such as pushing very heavy wet snow,keep it in H so the engine is at a much lower RPM which will most likely keep your temps.in check.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

High range. Unless its SUPER deep. Plow with the storm and you should be fine
  4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Low range provides better fine throttle control and lowers transmission load. However, have you tried high range? You certainly don't want the engine overheating any more than you do the transmission!
  5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Ditto. I'm always in high unless it's super deep and heavy.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I run high range or 2wd all the time. If it gets deep and heavy I just switch to a higher hp tune :D