1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing questions

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wawuce, Feb 1, 2005.

1. wawuce

wawuce Member

When you plow the transfer case should be in 4hi or 4lo?
    Do you drop the blade when you are at a complete stop and then start plowing or get some momentum and then drop the blade? Just had a motor and tranny done on my 93 Ranger. Has an automatic tranny the a4ld. The shop said that I blew the torque converter and the tail end of the tranny. Any info would be great!
  2. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I'd really like to know what they meant by the "tail end of the tranny." I've just rebuilt an A4LD for my wife's truck, and unless they're speaking about the reverse planetary, I doubt their statements. The rear of that tranny is not where the normal problem lies. For the record, I would never plow with that tranny. They just can't hold up to the abuse, trust me.
  3. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I generally plow in 4hi sometimes 2 wheel until the wheel start spinning cause there's alot of snow on the plow. 4hi will give you the traction you need to get the job done. If you are on ice or hard packed snow you can lose traction in 4hi or 4lo so 4hi is my choice.

Dropping the plow either, moving forward or not, depends on what kind of snow you are pushing. The wet heavy snow 4 inches or more I'd be moving as I dropped the blade. As for the light fluffy snow you don't need to be moving for that.

Be easy on your truck and your truck will be easy on you. :drinkup: :drinkup:
  4. landscapein

landscapein Junior Member

Get a bigger truck :jester: that would help!

Just Kidding, but then again not fully

4 hi works best.
  5. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Always drop your plow once you've started moving. It's just harder on your truck if you drop the blade (in my case nearly 1,000lbs) on the ground, then get on the gas.