1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tim C, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Tim C

Tim C Member

They are calling for 3-6 inches of snow. time line 9am to 5pm snow . freezing rain friday night into sat. My ?? is do I wait till 8am sat. to plow or go out at my 3-4 inch trigger. Also I only plow do not salt&sand. I might next year if weather this season is any sign. Thanks for any advice, do not want to cause a good thing into a problem.

Let it snow!!!!!!! Tim C
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Plow at your 3-4" trigger and keep plowing till its over. If you wait the snow will end up being one big frozen lump with the freezing rain. :D :D
  3. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I'm playing this storm by ear. The majority of my accounts have 3" triggers. A couple of accounts are done by snowblower ( customers feel snowplow will destroy the driveway). Some of my customers want me to wait until the storm is over. I had one customer already call me to wait until the end. I guess you could give your customers a call and find out what they would like.
  4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

When you say 3" trigger I take it as when to start. We have some with 2" minimum, but 6" trigger. Everyones different. You need to know your customers. If not sure, stop by and ask. I always get more positive responses if I'm in person, rather than on the phone...Chuck
  5. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I generally go ahead and plow before it turns to rain if it's expected to freeze afterwards. For the coming storm, I'm on the shore and it's supposed to go right from snow to rain, so I'll roll out at 3 inches.

Plowing slush is no fun. Earlier this season I didn't get to one of my parking lots before it rained a good bit. Had a heck of a time trying to get the slush where I wanted it...keeps running away.

Yeah, you may end up with a little ice on your accounts, but 1/4 inch of ice is better for 4 inches.

Also, if you're not sure, go for a ride and see what the other plowers are doing. I've done that more than once.
  6. Tim C

Tim C Member

Its funny some guys around here plow when ever :confused: I go on my trigger. If it is a tossup I call all 38 clients, not much fun being on the phone, I have an idea I will try next season, it will surely work. thanks for the input:waving:

I just do not want a surrprise sat. morning all though it makes sense to maybe push two times.

any more input let me know:drinkup:

let it snow Tim C
  7. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

Called all the clients last night to make sure they knew we planned to clear them during the day and to have their cars moved, sicne last storm was a surprise and I have to plow around a brand new BMW at the bottom of a hill.

The plan is to wtahc the radar(gotta love internet) and when it looks as though the rain is close, go out and clear everything unless we get enough to go twice. Did this the last storm, and everyone was very happy, and there was no "concrete" to puch around.
  8. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

it all depends on the customer, i have some that i take care of every 2-3" others wait till end of storm. the more times im there the more times i can charge. ahead of time i talk to my customers to see what they would like, sometimes they change there mind if they have company coming over or know they will be going in and out a lot of times, for example one had a relative die so there would be a lot of company and a lot of going in and out so they wanted me to keep up with it. best of luck this storm
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

3 inch is my trigger and with freezing rain that snow could be a sheet of ice
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, like they said keep in mind the freezing rain on the snow. Plowing that stuff is no fun after it freezes solid. Then you have to dump a boat load of salt on it to get it to go away. I had to do cleanup last week on stuff like that, it's no fun and hard as hell on the truck and driver. Make sure your contracts are worded so you don't come out on the short end of the stick with ice storms.
  11. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Ditto what MickiRig1 said. If you let it freeze up and they slip and slide, or somebody falls they will probably want to know where you were at. Had snow than freezing rain a week ago, lots were so slick you couldn't stop the truck hardly or even stand up, and I was pushing snow and salting with the srorm.I think better to have them get alittle upset and then explain why you did what you did then to get your customer in a law suit, or worse yet yourself.
  12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I go at my trigger and keep going until the snow stops and I'm all done.:D
  13. MickiRig1

I went out this morning after a 2 inch lake effect came down and did one of the above mentioned parking lots. The contractor I work for had not put down enough salt to get it cleaned up last week. Talk about a PIA. You had to make your move's slow and well in advance. Hit the brakes 20 feet from the rock hard snow piles so you didn't slam in to them. Crawl the last 10 feet in reverse so the step bumper stayed off the snow banks. Better to salt early then to play catchup. Now it takes a 1/3 more time to plow with the ice under the new snow fall. So did he save any money really?
  14. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I gotta tell ya , you guys got some serious ice last week. Im from the east side of cleve (snow belt) and for some reason we didnt have 1/3 the ice that you goys got down there. I spent the day down there and i was like:realmad: by the end of the day...Rob
  15. MickiRig1

I will tell ya my plow tripped 100 times in 8 hours. My poor F-250 had enough after 8 hours of this ice and snow! We were about to tell the boss we had enough when it all ended. I have never plowed in these conditions before.