1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Project

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mcwlandscaping, Sep 17, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

hey guys, today we got a project in school and the topic we are going with is snow plows. If possible i could use a bit of help from any of you guys (i bet jerre will know a lof of these) to get some info for the project. We are designing a new snowplow for the industry that incorporates what a lot of plow owners really want in a snow plow design that they have not seen yet or improvements to current things that you want, so first and foremost, please share those.

Second is that we need a few general questions answered that we are having a hard time finding info for, this includes:
    1. What is the current market share in the snow plow industry? (% to each manufacturer) (douglas dynamics broken down into it's seperate brands of blizzard, fisher, western, etc.)

We probably have some others we will think of

thanks in advance for any help/posts
    -mike-

my partner wanted to play with the smilies:
    xysport :waving: :nod: :jester:

2. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

neither question seems clearly stated.
    second question first - you will have to go to the corporates stock holder records for each company to even begin this research. They each have their own version of "market shares."
    first question - the biggest wants (for me) is for the vehicle manufactures - start providing a REAL snow plow prep package - ALL wiring in place and ready with quick connects. (an almost impossible task)

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You answered my market share question, i didn't even think of looking at stocks, that makes sense though.

I understand what you mean though about things not being clear, the paper the teacher made up is a pita.

Thank you for your response though, i have an idea on where i can take your idea about the wiring being in place though.

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think a universal truck-side mount would be really "innovative".

5. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Give me a V plow with power extending wings...then there will be no more power wings are better...not v is better...we would get the best of both worlds.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Someone here has already done that, will let the mastermind behind it tell you about it if he chooses.

7. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

I forgot which manufacture, but it already exists - try the links at the top of these pages

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have to say it . But how about a plow with big hoots on it!:eek:

I have some ideas but I'll be back.:waving:

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Plow package that includes a locking rear end.
    Real rear back up lights you can see with.
    Transmissions that don't blow up while plowing
    Get a cummins in a ford.
    Central hydros come standard on pickups with plow package.
    Back up cameras
    Self cleaning salt spreaders
    A real factory under coating that doesn't flake off the first time you pressure wash the truck.
    Stainless steel truck frames
    Front GVW that are 6500lbs or better
    Regular cab 3/4 ton short bed with quad steer (hint hint hint)

Oh I could just keep going on.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Itgottobegreen,nice truck,but I think he's talking about the plow only. i.e. a purple plow with polka dots.

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yea but the truck is the weakest link. Western/fisher pretty much figured out what we wanted already. Minus a stainless steel V power wing plow.

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Heavy truck plows have "universal" mounts, but I have yet to see something on the "light-duty" side of the spectrum.

13. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

i want a plow that i can be 2 feet away from that will hook up to the truck its self. something stainless, and it has to look like that boss plow that 06BossHD drew out

14. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats what i mean, someone here on this board has already made a universal light duty mount. I cant/wont tell you who it is but i know it exists.