1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KV, Dec 8, 2001.

1. KV

KV Junior Member

Was kinnda getting into plowing the right way this year. And was wondering what's the best way to price out jobs? And also best way to approach new clients? Sorry for the inexperienced questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

KV - that's a really general question. Could you fill in "location" on your profile. You're going to find the answers to be regionalized. For instance, I use the local shopper for advertising, magnetic signs on my trucks and sign on my mailbox (yes, I know but nobody cares in my area) and a lot of word of mouth. I also charge based on how long I think a job will take and an hourly amount, then turn that into a per push charge. That may not work or simply be wrong for your situation. You're probably better off sticking with driveways for this year until you get some experience. Do you have insurance for plowing residential?

3. littlerhino

littlerhino Junior Member
    from Mi

First off look clean cut shave put on nice shirt wash your truck dont go to a estimat after work looking like a grub.tell them first of that you have insurance,they like that, also tell them about people in the suroundig areas that you work for already, the closer that your homes are the less drive time you have and the more the home owner likes to think that he or she is hireing some one responsible,(if your plowing the joneses you can plow us to) pride your self on been on time and showing up when it snows. Show them refferals of past work you have done also give them all the info that they ask for when they ask dont say i dont know or ill have to get back to you on that have a game plan befor you meet them also write up a contract and get them to sighn it befor you do any thing word it good and cover your a$%

we priced out our jobs at all season price 50foot drive 175.00 get into the sub put up a sighn and then start rasing the price to were it should be 225.00 a drive
    good luck

4. KV

KV Junior Member

Mick-- thanks for the info, i updated my profile, i live in southeast michigan, brooklyn, to be exact. i do not have insurance for plowing but i did for mowing this year. is it alot different?

KV

5. KV

KV Junior Member

littlerhino-- thanks for the info, i have gotten alot of ideas. just want to get the right info, have gotten alot that seems way off the norm!

KV

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

KV - yes to the insurance. Plowing snow is considered a "high risk". Commercial is considered even higher risk than residential. Some people on here might say if there's any damage, then the homeowners insurance will cover it. Not neccesarily. The homeowner's insurance could claim the homeowner was negligence for hiring someone not insured to do the work. You need to let your regular insurance know that you're pushing snow for pay. You really need both Commercial Vehicle and General Liability. The first covers your vehicle and any damage it does while actually plowing. Usually also covers anything attached to the truck (Plow, sander etc). GL covers claim due to the work you did or didn't do. For instance, you plow, leave and later in the day somebody falls on the area you plowed. You'll be named in the suit. GL insurance policy will name the business you're in. You may have insurance for "Landscaping" but that won't cover snow plowing operations.

Apologies for telling you anything you already know.

7. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome to plowsite!

You will find in MI that it isn't very expensive to add a snowplow rider to your general liability policy for summer work you do. You will probably get a 1 mil policy for an extra $500 a year.

If you were snow only, the same would cost you at least $2200, if you could get someone to write it!

Thats one good reason for keeping you prices up, And another is the fact that these payments will keep coming in on the equipment even if you dont plow, so try to get enough seasonal contracts to at least cover operating expenses, and "food Money"!

8. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

Pricing is extremely regional. For instance I get around $500.00 per season for a 50 ft. driveway.