1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Pet Peeves ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Dec 27, 2004.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a perfectionest when it comes to snow plowing. So when I see someone else has done a sloppy job and left snow in the middle of the lot or snow piles in improper places, it drives me crazy. :realmad:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2004
  2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

oh yeah, definately no trails.....i hate it when the people arond here act like they own the road when they are plowing, they pay no attn to other people on the road....and of course when people push it acroos the road and leave the speed bumps. i don't mind the pushing acroos the road even though it is suppose to be illegal it is just the speed bumps they leave

p.s. forgot that i hate it when they leave the piles right at the edge of the road or in the road. usually ends back up in their driveay when i go by, :realmad: but it is always the people that plow their own drives
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would have to say pushing across the street. Some guys backblade it into the street and if the street plow hasn't been by they just leave. I really hate the homeowner with the snowblower that blows everything on the road, his entire driveway. Where are the by-law guys when this happens?
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I cant stand when plowers push perpendicular to the driveway onto the side and leave 1/2 a blade in the middle of the road, at least get it all off the road :rolleyes: What pi$$ed me off today was the parking lot of the little store at the top of my street. Until recently, a certin Indian family owned the little store, guy next to the store always plowed it, store owners ALWAYS kept up and made sure it was plowed every few inches, very good and responsible owners. Recently another (dumb) indian family has bought the store. Well they open this morning and the parking lot is not even open, their little car is stuck half in the street half in the lot, I went in about 8am this morning, even with 4X4 i had a tough time getting over the snowbank left by the town. Got what i needed, did not even ask about what he planned to do with the snow, figured somebody would be by soon. Drive by again at about 11Am and he is shoveling a few spaces and adding to the huge banks at the end of his lot AND at the CORNER of a busy intersection. Drive by again in an hour and 3 cars are STUCK in the damn lot. I stop, pull two out that managed to get very stuck, helped the other push his car out. I go in to the owner and ask "what the hell do you plan to do about the god damn snow that everyone is stuck in" answer: "Its going to be warm in a few days, iam not going to worry about it" (it being 16"). I said that i would not do it, i did not feel like getting stuck in his lot again, my bro got the jeep stuck in there too but was able to rock it out. I told him to call a guy i know with a loader or I will call the town (bylaw on commercial snow removal) as he is in violation of the law. Still does not want to pay for a loader to come. I said fine it will be done in about a half hour then you will hear from the cops and DPW, OK he says. I call my friend on the DPW, he comes down with a 10 wheel dump with a one way plow and a wing. Plows the lot, cops come and explain to him that he must remove the snow people are in danger. Town will be sending him a bill for the plow and a $200 fine.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

LOL thats good.

I seem to attract people while I am working at night. They like to park randomly, instead of all together in a single row.

Last night I'm plowing Valumart and a night janitor or something comes in, sees me doing the sidewalks etc. (I know he did b/c he waved) but then goes over and parks right in front of the doors. Perfect, so now the only unplowed part of the parking lot is right in front of the door. :rolleyes:

Even better are the ones whowait for you to make a forward pass, then pull in and park behind you. You start to back up, but realize there is suddenly a parked car where you were just driving.... (24hr stores suck)

Or when they park in front of the snow piles in an otherwise empty lot.. :rolleyes:

People really need to get a clue.
  6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I cant stand the home owners who park a car halfway down the drive. I dont like to make a second trip to do a drive that could have been done the first time i was there...Rob
  7. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

I feel the same about people pushing their snow across the road and unto the shoulder or into the ditch on the other side. I hate that.
    I always usually V into a driveway or push it off to both sides, and always work my way in, piling on either side or somewhere at the start. I probably spend more time in reverse but it works for me.

Also hate when kids leave their sleds, toys, etc. in the driveway or yard. I realize they are kids but i hate getting out of the truck and moving that stuff.
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

When people decide they have to park where I am plowing. :angry: They usually end up getting boxed in. :cool:
  9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I HATE PEOPLE. in the middle of a freeking storm they are out to get a gallon of milk. HELLO, stay home forget the milk, you can have you cookies later.
    the worst is people not using turn signals. i back out onto a busy road then a car comes flying around the corner and expects me to move, ahh, if you used your signal i wouldnt have even gone out in front of you. USE YOUR SIGNALS ok then i feel better.
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I agree with you 100 percent about the signals. Today while driving between plow jobs I come down this backroad and see a pickup with plow backing in the middle of the road. Knowing the drill, I slow down and stop to let the guy do his manuvering, you know, courtesy one plow operator to another. Then, the guy just sits there. So I wait a few seconds wondering what the hell he's doing and then I finally drive around to his left and go by. As I pass, he's giving me the "What are you doing up my a$$" look. I really wished I could have just ripped his door open, grabbed him and rammed his forehead into his steering column and yelled in his ear...."See this funny looking lever here S#!THEAD.....this is called the TURN SIGNAL LEVER, and guess what, if you move it up or down, it will make the lights in the back of your truck blink so that the rest of us who don't read minds KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE DOING YOU MORON!!!!"
    But, of course you can't do that in the real world unless you want to spend time in a cold room with a plank to sleep on and a toilet that has no seat, which I don't care to do. So I just drove on, and shook my head. It was disappointing to see this sort of ignorance by another plow operator. He'll get his when some old lady comes along some day and just drives into him.
  11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

What about the news paper in the middle of the drive instead of the box?????
  12. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

Last year I was plowing a strip mall area. The night security guy came in about 3am parked right in front of one of my piles. I kindly asked him to park in another part of the lot that had been already cleared. A week later plowing the same lot. Now with more snow and less places to put it. Same guy comes back. And parks in front of my pile AGAIN. So once again I ask him to move. To which he responds. That I had placed my pile on his parking space. And he always parks there. And that I need to pile my snow somewhere else.
    Another week or 2 goes by. This time we get 11 inches of wet snow. Keep in mind this is a small strip mall with limited space to pile snow. Same dumba$$ shows up. And since I am a firm believer in the three strikes your out. This time his little s-10 bacame part of my pile. I happen to know the owner real well of the property. He had a good laugh. Didn't charge me at all. Thought the guy got what he deserved. But after 2 and a half days I went and dug him out with a skid loader.
    We haven't had any snow this year yet. But, I am anxiously waiting to see if he parks there again. :nono:

13. Newspaper, WHERE?

Thats what i do to those :waving:
  14. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

How about when your pushing a "full" plow load of snow in a parking lot isle and someone decides to come right at you in that lane and stops in front of you.
    I normally will stop and back up out of their way to end the stand off, but to the amazement of all that "pile" of snow didn't follow the blade while I was backing up out of the way.
    "Here's your sign"
    :rolleyes: John..................
  15. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Its nice to see you guys deal with the same stuff I do. Last year I started doing some condos on the lake that some real rich PITA kinda pepole live at. Well the lady that owns and runs this place also lives there and comes out and greets me at whatever time I get there. I told her about a few cars that are right where I need to pile snow(this place has very limited places for snow). She told me she put out 3 notices about parking and they pay for a garage then she said "make a example out of them" Ok, no problem.

Now as soon as I pull in I got all these folks running to me wanting to know where I want them to put there cars. Every time I have to tell them come back in 30mins when I have something plowed....hahah
  16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:redbounce IT stops snowing :redbounce
  17. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

garbage night

My first pet peave is people who could care less about the plow truck. I do a 1/4 mile street with a turnaround at the end. a jeep full of high-schoolers decide that the open circle is a good place to do donuts. I stop just short of the circle with lights flashing, and they continue to do donuts for another minute. When they see me, they give me this look like "get out of our way." I was waiting for them to lose control into one of my piles.....I wouldn't have felt bad a bit.

Even bigger pet peave is garbage night! Nothing like having 2 garbage cans at the end of every driveway. On a small snow I can move them, but when there's a foot of snow in the grass, there's no good place to put them out of the way.
  18. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Just started plowing this year...already have a pet peave! I hate it when clients don't use their damn garages! I had a couple of clients who decided they'd leave their cars sitting in the driveway instead of putting them in the garage. :mad:
  19. WELDER

WELDER Member

my pet peeve? people who dont pay........ :nono:

and guys who plow drives with a 1/2 inch of snow on em...... :nono:

we just got our first 1/2 inch of snow. some idiot was plowing down the drive and right across the road in front of me.i had to throw out the hooks to keep from hiting him.and by the time he got to the other side of the road it had all dissapeared.i can see parking lots that hafta be kept up, but a gravel drive with a half inch?........heres your sign :nono:
  20. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

12 out of 14 drives had garbage cans in front of them yesterday.. only 3-5" soit wasnt a huge deal.. but what i found funny.. the 2 that had moved there cans for me.. one was about 70yr old lady who greeted me with cookies and a smile and was excited to tell me that she moved them for me.. the second was even better.. a HOTTIE who came out with cookies, a bottle of water and hot cocco in a travel mug for me!!! yup, she will be the 1st and last run every time!! :redbounce