1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Permit within city limits

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 7_below, Oct 26, 2011.

1. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I've been plowing for years and never heard of this til now. It's pretty straight forward. I guess I'll have to get one this year. 20$ for permit or 150$ fine. Anyone else dealing with this?

http://library.municode.com/HTML/10074/level3/REGEOR_CH9BUMETRIT_ART14SNRECO.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  2. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same here. Been around about 30+ yrs .Never got one though.

4. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Is this just Syracuse or all over?

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

$20 PER VEHICLE...every year! Sounds like another BS fee to me. Luckily we don't have that kind of stuff in my neck of the woods.

6. grandview

Every town has their own deal.Technically I should have to get 4 different permits to plow every year.

7. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Yeah this is crazy.

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

It is a cost and I underscore cost of doing business. We are in business are we not?

9. grandview

With plow permits here they don't even know where you plow or even ask for info other then company name and address

10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I have no problem with the 20$ per truck. I have 2 and will cough up the 40$. Just another expense. Not a big deal. I just wish it was a little more known fact of doing business within city limits. I'm glad I found out. Fines are no good.

11. cold_and_tired

We most certainly are in business. I just don't understand why you would need to pay a fee just so the city knows you have insurance.

Plumbers, electricians, etc all have to have licenses and permits for their trade mainly because these areas of construction need to be done correctly and inspected. They are basically paying for the inspectors time and the building departments overhead.

Are there going to be snow removal inspectors running around? Heck no. The fee is nothing more than another income point for the city. Basically, an unvoted tax.

12. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

I personally think it's a great idea and would be game for it in our area. I think its a waste if the cities don't require proof of auto insurance and general liability. I know it would eliminate a few companies in our area and one that has about 5 vehicles that never get registered or insured every year.

13. grandview

Most cases its the cops who stop you and do you think they will get out of their warm car? In the city of Buffalo there was less then 50 plow permits issued.

14. cold_and_tired

In Colorado, you have to show proof of vehicle insurance to get license plates. Is vehicle insurance not required where you are? As far as the GL, are commercial properties not asking for it with the bids? Everyone around here does. Maybe that's why we don't have many problems with the lowballer types.

That's what I was thinking as well. Now we are asking beat cops to also check on business permits? I'm quite certain they have better things to do than harass plow drivers.

15. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Still not getting one

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  16. grandview

Well there goes the city budget deficit!

17. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

in my area i plow in two suburbs that i am suppose to have a sticker, i spoke to on building dept ( who issues the permit) they said basically since i do not do resi i really don't need one and the only ones checking is the building dept... you know the inspectors aren't getting out of their warm cars to check

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of this before,it's certainly not anywhere in my area of NY.We need LESS gov't.,NOT more.

19. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

my town has a contractor license you have to get whether your plowing mowing anything. I just plow and have only got one in the 7 years since theyve instituted it. and not planning on getting one anytime too soon. My dad goes and gets his every year and always threatens to rat me out, but he does alot of excavating in town also so he kinda needs it for that.

20. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

As a "Professional Snow Plow Operator" do you bother getting a drivers license?