1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing per inch?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 14, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Lets say a large snow is coming your way and it sounds like the snow will be hear at least for a day or two. You have a residential driveway to plow and the contract is billed per inch.

Obiviously you would want to plow with the storm since large amounts of snow is possible and you dont want to beat up your equipment.

How do you charge a customer this way when your trying to keep up with the storm. If the snow was 4 inches when you first got there and only 2 when you came back to clean up to you charge them two different rates or do you just say that youll charge an x amount of dollars everytime you plow the drive no matter how much snow is involved?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Generally, residential driveways will not be billed strictly by the inch. Rather, most will billed so much beginning at a certain depth (trigger) up to a specified depth. Then the amount charged will be billed at given increments (ie: 3" - 6", 6" - 9", 9" - 12" etc). I bill for the amount of snow per 24 period. So in your example, I would charge the amount which applies to 6" - regardless of how many times I pushed.

To make sure we're on the same "page" - "per inch" pricing applies to those accounts which are billed "xxx.xx" per inch and applies to each and every inch of snowfall. This would usually be used in settings which require intense monitoring and zero accumulation. Snowfall amounts are usually gotten from independent sources, with strict accounting.

3. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

How do you explain to your customer your way of pricing in a 24 hr period? What if its still snowing from the origional snowstorm after the 24 hrs. Do you began to start over at 1" even though its the same snow storm.

Thanks for the help!

4. Mick

from Maine

Excerpt from one of my actual proposals to a customer: (I hope it comes out)

Cost per snowfall: 3” to 6” $30
    over 6” to 9” $40
    over 9” to 12” $40 plus $1 per in over 12”

Amount billed will be based on total amount of snowfall per storm not to exceed any 24 hour period. In other words, if a storm lasted more than 24 hours, I expect that I would be pushing periodically throughout that 24 hours. 24 hours after the start of the storm would start a new billing cycle.

Regarding starting over with 1" - the trigger is 3", so you wouldn't be pushing any less.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  5. Tim C

Tim C Member

Mick does this mean that a 12" storm would cost customer $110??
    please reply Tim C thanks

6. Mick

from Maine

No, a 12" storm would cost $40. A 15" storm would cost $43 ($40 + $3 ($1 per inch over 12")).

7. Tim C

Tim C Member

plowiing by inch

:confused: Mick does this mean that the cutomer would be billed for $110 for a 12" storm ???? If so I will change my billing for this season. Please reply

Tim C Let It Snoooooow !!!!!!payup

8. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

A 12" storm would be $40.00. if you got 18" it would be $46.00.

9. Tim C

Tim C Member

Sorry Mick I replyed twice:dizzy: I talked to a couple guys around here and they said to charge eg. $40 driveway roughly 30-35 driveways in 4-5 hours charge 2-3 pushes. They said if your there 2 times you charge 40x 2 ect. does this sound resonable??

Thanks Tim C

10. Mick

from Maine

Thank you, Rich. Apparently we were all replying at the same time. As an exception to that, if the 12" were over a three day period and I plowed each day, then I'd bill a total of $120 ($40x3).

Edit - Oops - $30x3 for total of $90 -- assuming 4" per day.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  11. Mick

from Maine

Tim, about the method of charging - each does what works for them. So if you want to charge the same for each visit, regardless of elapsed time, that's up to you. I just showed how I do it. This thread is about "Per Inch" plowing and I just wanted to show that this is and "Per Push" can be confused.

12. Mick

from Maine

BIG OOPS - I finally see part of the problem. The 9 - 12 inch range should be $60 instead of $40 which is the 6 - 9. So 12" is $60; 15" would be $63 etc.

Sorry. The contract example I used was not the best I could have chosen - there were several factors that had led to it being modified and wasn't explained here.

13. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care Member

Mick, where did you get your contract from? I haven't been using contracts but this winter i would like to start.

14. Mick

from Maine

Rich, check your Private Messages.