1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing pay question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by twentyfourseven, Oct 31, 2007.

1. twentyfourseven

twentyfourseven Junior Member
    from ohio

Hey guys. First time here and was wondering when driving a company truck is it normal to get paid hourly from the point you get into the truck until everything is done or just hourly for the time on the lots plowing. Thanks for your help.
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I get paid from the time I get in the truck till I get out. But I work for my father and also do some of my own accounts too. I sub for a guy and charge him for the time I am actually plowing plus drive time.
  3. larryhd

larryhd Senior Member
    from vermont

I pay my help from the time there get in the truck to the job done.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Easy to work out.

Sheet for recording work.

Name | Time start | Time end | Salt used| depth| Comments|
    Lot ABC | 12:00AM | 3:00 AM | # bags | inch's | cars on west side
    Lot XYZ | 3:00 AM | 5:00 AM | no salt | feet | needs salt
    Lot 123 | 5:00 AM | 7:00 AM | tonage |ice mix| salted only

This way it shows like the lots would be next door to each other and times blended.
    I have never plowed for a guy that said he would only pay hourly for time on lot only.

I have worked where they said I will pay you $XX.xx to do that lot. He is trying to rip you especially if you are using his equipment.
  5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I pay my guys from the time they get to the shop untill they go home, including breaks.

6. twentyfourseven

from ohio

Thanks for the feedback..I appreciate you guys answering. So I gotta ask--- If you sub in someone with there own truck do you pay them start to finish or just push time?

I have to watch what I ask- My boss may be lurking around here...lol :waving:
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Generally subs get paid from the first drop of the blade at there first place and they are finished when they are done their last place. You generally always pay travel time and for small breaks.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you're an employee, he better be paying you from start to stop, otherwise he's asking for trouble from DOL.

If you're a sub, it can work either way, depends on what you agree on.
  9. Nitro1253

Nitro1253 Junior Member
    from NJ

all depends on what makes both of you happy, theres no rule set in stone
  10. stcroixjoe

stcroixjoe Senior Member

i get payed when i drop my blade all drive time and breaks and i'm a sub
  11. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I also get paid from the time i drop my blade til the time i am finished.
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Employe=start to finish. as soon as he gets in the truck or shows up at your shop. Punches in & out.

Sub-"contractor"= only while engaged in snow plowing or
    applying ice-melt.
  13. twentyfourseven

from ohio

Just wanted to say "thank you" to all that took the time to respond to this thread. I just wanted to make sure I was in the right before I goto the boss. Heck Might have to go work for someone else.. Thanks again.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Has control for all the how, why, what, where and when with-in the borders of, and as required to, meet the terms of the contract. Is responsible for his own W/C Tax Withholding SS matching, and all other employee related costs. Should have a written contract with the general contractor. To best avoid culpability the work should be on a per job basis, if only worded something like "payed 4X for an estimated 4 hours labor, any additional hours required will be billed @ X"

If you have questions about how you're getting paid talk to a tax pro. You can get royally screwed by being listed as a "sub" rather then an employee. You could find yourself liable for taxes and/or insurance costs.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

When I sub, I get paid from the moment my guy calls me untill i'm done with the last pass. Weather it take me a 1/2 hour to show up or 2.

98 Ford F150 4x4 w/ timbrens
    Meyer St 7'5"
  17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i get paid from when i punch in at the shop until i punch out at the shop its that simple...
  18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

guess im paying myself now but when someone else was paying me to plow i was on salary and plowing was just a additional duty when it snowed. if i went to one lot or five or how many hours didnt really matter but i would get a little extra if lots of hours were put in. so i guess i was just always paid. not sure if it counts anyway it was when i worked for my uncles company and family do things a little different. (like the company paid for breakfast at a restaurant every morning and discounted rent of a house which was just deducted from my pay). also used company truck/cell phone etc. etc.
  19. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i have to agree with everyone else

employee goes by the time clock even though the have to drive from town to punch in and out then they take a peice of equip. and then done they bring it back and punch out, typicaly i don't let employees drive trucks home 'cause next snofall could be awhile.

Sub: i pay from the time they drop plow to the time we all quit and subs get paid that night

i also pay for breaks, meals, driving time between jobs.

sidewalk crews: we leave the toolcat, rtv etc in town and they call in when they start since they have to be there before the plow's

hope this helps
  20. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Drivers Pay

I have three men that drive for me. I pay them from the time they leave my shop until they return and clean the truck for the next time. Since I also fill in when someone is sick I know how long it takes to do each route so I know if someone is trying to pad hrs. I have probably fired 20 men for one good one becuase most think once they are out of sight of the boss, he isn't smart enough to know that they sat at the local coffee shop flirting with the girls when they were suppose to be driveing. Had one guy who turned in 10 hrs for a 4 hr route. That was my worst case to date of someone trying to take advantage. I pay my guys good, we have medical and life insurance after 3 months available so there is no reason not to play fair.