1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing pay for DPW,DOT specifically MD but all welcome

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by pbjunkie92, Dec 22, 2009.

1. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

Hey there guys I was jettin around the firehouse yesterday when we got into a conversation about plowing. I am in Frederick CO Maryland and one of the guys at the FH mentioned something about DPW/DOT subbing drivers. Has anyoe ever subed for DPW/DOT? Whats the typical pay? If it makes any difference my vehicle will probably be something like this CLICK HERE.

Thanks to all.

2. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

I plow for Mass-Highway in a Mack Tri-Axle dump with an 11' plow & it gets $116.50 an hr...Other states pay more for trucks check in your area...The works is fairly easy on equipment once you learn your route so you know were the bad spots are...Do you plan on running a sander too...What GVW is that truck, do you have your CDL

3. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

The CDL is on its way. I don't turn 18 for a few months, but when I do I need it for driving fire apparatus. Of course it will only be intrastate. I do plan on running a sander and I dont know the specs. on that particular vehicle because that's not the exact one I will be using however I plan to use some thing similar.

4. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

State pays $130-$140 an hour if I remember correctly. Of course you have to have a spreader. Too late this year. I have a '91 Ford L8000 tandem with an 11' blade I am thinking about selling. Not sure if you can find any work in the summer for it tho. Insurance is about $3000 a year

5. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

What state are you from...Mass-Highway gets around $145-$155 for sanders & $115-$125 for plows

6. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

Maryland, Montgomery County pays more but standby time is half pay. I believe this info is still correct they make changes now and then.

7. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Oh that sucks they pay 1/2 when your on hold...I dont blame you for getting out of that game

8. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

That County being one of the wealthiest in the Nation has a hundred (or so it seems) inspectors for one truck. But they pay more than the State does. I just got this Ford on a trade a month ago so I was to late to hook up with State. Not sure what to do with it. I would love to work it at least 3 days a week in the summer and plow in the winter. But there are so many guys driving "junk" and cutting prices its hard to get good pay when there are jobs.

9. pbjunkie92

pbjunkie92 Member

can someone explain how exactly it works to get in with them? do you have to be on the state/county payroll already? or do they just sub temperairly..like seasonal?

10. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

For the State contact the SHA office on Rt.85 they should be able to give you all the info you need to bid on a route for next year. You might be able to hook up with some one that has routes if he has any room for another truck. Check some of the names on trucks that are subs such as Burkhardt Excavating, he runs 370 to 109 I think.

11. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

For Montgomery county you have to get on a list. There is a new guy/girl in charge this year so I can't give you a contact name sorry good luck. Some one told me they think Howard County (for the State) might still have openings.

12. HGT INC.

HGT INC. Senior Member
    from MI.

Hello, IAFF local 911 Birmingham Mi. Retired 2 years July, loving it. Don't miss these butt cold nights for one sec. Take care, Jerry.