1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by katchley, Dec 20, 2009.

1. katchley

katchley Junior Member

when you are plowing a long distance, ( automatic transmission) what gear do you push the snow in to be easiest on truck? And what is a good speed to push snow?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

welcome to the site
    I usually hust run in DRIVE...no O/D
    any speed under 70 is safe.....lol

3. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

Put it in drive and go! If you have a trailer/tow mode use it. How fast depends on activity in a lot. In an apartment complex, you don't want to go fast because of people coming outa nowhere. If your in a shipping yard in the middle of the night, "let er' eat". Just have to see what's productive. I have a few places I'll hit 45 mph (no windrows :laughing:)or so on a lighter snow and then I have a few that 10 is to fast.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would not even attempt to go 45 mph with my blade down. :dizzy:

5. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

With no curbs, pot holes and nothing but wide open flat ground, why not?:confused:

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

20 mph at most, automatic tranny in 2nd gear or first depending on the snow load and the differential gear ratio.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

honestly 15 to 20 mph is plenty in a wide open lot. Much faster than that you start getting blow over, and can't see where in the hell your going anyhow. I also just use drive in my trucks, also turning on the haul/tow mode. It changes the shift points in the tranny, and give you more power to push.

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i can't remember for sure but when i installed a new boss plow somewhere in the instructions it said do not exceed 14 mph...i thought because of the airbags going off if you were to hit something

9. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

I didn't say it was the thing to do, It's just that in the middle of the night it's boring. It just helps keep me awake for a while and as far as blow over, I agree but I have a large rubber flap on my plow that I run. I take that back, I had one on there but cut it up for some of my other plows to use.

10. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

some people just should answer things

11. TRKling

TRKling Member

Oh, I don't know.. maybe because I doubt you have Bonnell, Wausau-Everest or equivalent plow on the front of that truck.

Unless you got DOT truck/specs, I can't fathom why you'd want to risk tearing your equipment up... but it's your money and equipment.

:)

12. shifting into the highest gear will reduce trans temp

how much snow and how wet is important consideration

tc

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Not always true. Finding a gear that allows you torque converter to lock while maintaining enough speed and RPM's to keep the snow moving will help to reduce trans temps.

14. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

stay in the RPM sweet spot-I use 1st because my tranny guy put extra clutches/bands in 1st gear for takeoff, then usually 2nd is good up to 35 mph, so I hardly ever get out of 2nd in hi range. Keep an eye on your gauges, & if you plow alot it'd be wise to put a tranny temp gauge in.
    Lugging it in too high of a gear can burn up your bands & torque converter

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I plow in D and tow/haul mode. As long as you know there aren't any suprise manhold covers or anything like that sticking up, getting some speed souldn't be too much of an issue.

For the record, I highly doubt anyone will be plowing fast enough in a parking lot for their TC to lock up, but more power to you if you can lol.

16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I think if you need to ask this question you shouldnt be plowing.

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How big are these lots that you plow at 45 mph?

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's an excellent question. One of the best asked lately.

I go up to 20 sometimes. That's only in places I know I are in good shape, and the snow is heavy enough to not blow everywhere.

19. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

It's around 12 acres with approx. 3/4 mile long road coming into it. Not even a light pole in the middle of it, they are all on the outside in the grass or on the building. Very nice break from the rest of the accounts!xysport And 45 mph is what I HAVE done but is not what I do all the time. I just "play" around a little once in a while. I've only done it a couple of times just seeing how far I could "throw it". Looks cool! I didn't mean to start a bashing conversation with some of the comments. All well, it's all good. Just wish it would snow.

20. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

i run 4 low 2nd or drive, depends on how deep the snow is. as far as speed, i don't go any faster than
    10 to 15 mph, plowing is not nascar let the truck do the work. my boss plow manual states,
    do not exceed 40 mph transporting plow and do not exceed 14 mph when plowing.