1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing packed snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ukcats, Feb 13, 2010.

1. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

so I am new to plowing this year. My question is whats the best way to get under packed snow abd try to plow it. I do a lot that always have traffic and the time I get back to plowing it its all packed down

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Salt prior to traffic

3. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

its hard to salt when its snowing all day and u have to come back a few times. Plus they don't pay to have the lot salted.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

if they dont pay to have it salted then thats the condition the lot is going to be in.the only other option is to go in there during the day and try to push some of it when it is slushy from the car traffic.

5. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

If they only pay to plow and not salt, then plow to the best of your ability. If they complain explain that plows plow snow, not hard pack. Hard pack requires salt and that costs extra. If by the bag, add 100% for spreading it.

6. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

Only other option I know off is to break it up by hand then push it. Of course they would pay for the labor

7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

How about some type of loader or skidsteer. Pretreating is your best option though.

8. hitachiman 200

You did not say what equipment you have?

9. ukcats

ukcats Junior Member
    from Pa

right now all I use is a western plow on a gmc sierra 2500hd and a small hitch salt spreader

10. hitachiman 200

Ok...so is the customer complaing about it? does your contract state that you will be using a plow truck to clear? or that you will clear to bare pavement?

11. JScudes

JScudes Junior Member

just remember...the customer gets what they pay for...if it is just a plow then you just plow. if they want salt they pay. if they are not happy with just the plow and will not pay for salt...they will figure out sooner or later that money buys happiness haha!

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I would explain to them that by you having to show up repeated times to try to get to pavement they are ,in fact, paying more than they would if they salted properly.