1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing over once a day

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ramsport1500, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ramsport1500

ramsport1500 Member

Was wondering what the average plow driver charges for plowing the same driveway more than once a day. I charge my customers 1/2 the charge for plowing a second time in the same day.
    Was wondering if that is fair or cheap?
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Not sure why you would do this. Most charge full plows each time. Dose the gas station give u gas 1/2 off if you fill up twice in the same day?

ALCCLLC Junior Member

LOL on the response. Interesting question tho. I wonder if different areas would give other responses??
  4. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Full price

If I have a customer call me to clean the end of the drive way out I charge them full price.Still takes the same amount of fuel to get there.
  5. fourseasonspm

fourseasonspm Junior Member
    from CT

double plowing

I usually knock a little off the price if I plow more than once a day, unless the same amount of snow has fallen since I first plowed. If it's a really heavy storm, I usually go around to people that need to get in or out by a certain time and quickly open up the driveway. Then I go back and clean it up nice toward the end. Those quick plowings are what I don't charge full price for.
    Four Seasons Property Maint.
  6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

during storms we have plowed 3 or 4 times, we charge full plows most of them time. I will prorate, depending on opeing up and clean ups, depending on how long were there. but most of the time its full plows.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

I give a discount for additional passes...

40% to be exact...I just quoted a 3 property plowing price (dad paying for two daughters plowing) and the quote was $155 first pass,($75, $40 and $40) 2" trigger. 2nd passes are $95 each for all 3 drives.

Mind you, I'm building accounts and this seems to be a good feature to clients that cringe at paying 100% each time...and I'm not low balling either...I get good prices for my services.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  8. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Give them a set price RAM say for 2-4 inches then tell them 25 dollars a inch there after. That is what we do on commercial lots we might plow it 3 times then we charge for the total inches in that storm. But you can't charge them say 25.00 to plow there driveway then go plow it 3 times in one day. They would like that but you can not do that and stay in business.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Does the paying entity just take your word that "exactly" 15 inches fell in his parking lot???
    I know around here, from one area to the next, snowfall amounts vary GREATLY and in the case for example of a Walmart lot...there may be 4 ft drifts at one end and bare pavement (due to wind gusting) at the other end...
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Same here.
  11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

i cant see charging 1/2 for the additional plows. just dosent make sence to me business wise. takes just as much fuel and is just as hard on your truck. sure maybe knock off 10-20% or what ever but thats at a max.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ramsport, after reading the previous posts I hope you get rid of the 50% off rule. For when it doesn't snow do they feel bad for you and offer 50% sorry it didn't snow money. This is one of those experience in buisiness items. Don't worry, every one has been a beginner once upon a time.

Remeber TIME is directly proportional to PROFFIT.

13. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Full price every time. We typical could only plow twice in one day. Now if we were getting 4" we would wait till its done then plow it. We wouldnt plow two 2" snows but if its a all day 6-8" event most people woul dbe happy to be cleaned out a couple of times.
  14. MNBOY

MNBOY Junior Member

I charge the same price every time I show up if they are on a per push contract. If the snow is about 4 inches and I only needed to make one round, I will go back after the route and open up the drives that the city plow plowed in without any extra charge. Doesn't take much time and the customers appreciate it. I'm not the cheapest guy out there so these people know that they are getting what they pay for.
  15. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

I will typically charge the same price every time that I go there, although I have a couple of friends/customers who are on an extremely tight budget, so sometimes I will drop my price. I know that they appreciate it, and they help me out doing work in the summer, so I do get reimbursed for those lower prices/free plows.
  16. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

:dizzy: What do you mean how do you chare by the inch? That is how we have done it here for years.We start at 2 inches we give a 2-4 inch price when it goes over 4 unches it goes up every inch. We do not do a per push price here.It has to be done on inches.What are you suppose to do charge them the same price for 2 inches or 12 inches? T answer your question yes they do believe me with what I tell them the total inches were. They can walk right out and measure it for themselves. I don't measure the drifts.Usually after the snow ends the local news will tell you how much each area received. I have done it this way for years and alot of guys do it the same way it is a great system for me and everyone else.

17. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

the best is ................................
    2-6 ---------1750.00

6-10---- 3500.00 what to charge for 6 inches?

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

OK then...

Hey...not criticizing...just curious about how the number of inches is determined...You explained it adequately...thanks. I will continue the way I am charging until I get enough accounts that I can weed them out a bit...in the meantime, I will discount the additional pushes. I am doing strictly resi's and no commercials...so I'm using the "kiss" method...(keep it simple stupid!).
  19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

STUPID people do this all the time I do not get it. Are you asking me what to charge? I would say the 2-6 inch price. I do not do my accounts this way. I charge 2-4 inch price and then say 100.00 per inch there after. But the per inch price varies depends on each lot.

That is how I charge commercial. Residential driveways usually is just a guess we go every 3 inches on driveways and charge around 25 to 100 per time we go.

20. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

The Same...Is It half as easy to plow the second time???