1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Over Curbs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFarmer, Jan 1, 2008.

?

Do You Push Over The curb

1. I only push to the curb

13.3%
  2. I will push over the curb but I stop when my front wheels hit

67.2%
  3. I will run the front whels over the curb

8.6%
  4. I will push it as far back as I can, all 4 wheels over the curb and push it back

10.9%
  1. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do you push/plow the snow back from the curb?

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

as much as i can but i dont drive the whole truck or the front tires over the curb. if there is that much snow they can pay for the loader to have it hauled out.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i push as far back as possible. without going offroad.

JR

4. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I push up to the tires, but if the curb is small, sometimes front wheels up a ways. They can pay for snow removal or to move it with a skid steer if it gets that bad.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Usually I stop when the front wheels hit the curb. But if we are expecting alot of snow, I get the front wheels up on the curb too. I try not to very much though, I dont think all of that extra bouncing is very good on the front end:nono:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My old boss used to tell me push it way over the curb but I won't ,kept telling him that's what the loader is for at 150.00 hour!:Dpayup

7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'll push just over the curb with the truck plows. Since we usually run the wheel loader for most lots, there is no need to come back later. The customer pays us to clear the lot, so we have the equipment to clear the lot. I not a fan of leaving piles all over and then asking for more money to clean up.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Sooooo out of 18 votes so far you're the only one who goes all the way over the curb, truck and all....

Just thought I'd let ya know in case you weren't paying attention :waving: :D

(PS - I can't wait for LoneCowboy to see this thread and tell everyone they don't know how to plow...laughter will ensue :jester:)

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Around hear we laugh at the guys that only push the snow to the curb.
    You will see lots with huge piles made by trucks that are in designated areas that are over the curb or edge of the lot by 25ft or more.
    Some only require you to put just the front over the curb.

Snow is stored on site, not handled a second time
    ( with a loader or trucked away) at an added cost to the customer.

We do no charge by the hr but we average $114 when the trucks are moving;)
    You can pat me once to move the snow or you can pay me twice to do the same job. As a business owner which would you chose?

So all you rubber-neckers who only viewed and did not vote:cool: vote...
    Be truthful...

And show me I'm just a hick from the North...xysport

10. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

ALWAYS STOP WHEN I GET TO THE CURB IM DRIVING A TRUCK NOT A HEAVY PIECE OF EQUIPMENT :rolleyes: NO OFFROADING !

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

As I look at your signature line I'm sure you have never over loaded and of those trucks ether;)

I can see how it may take a piece of heave equipment to do what we do
    and thats o.k.

And,, All you guys that plow residential ,, curbs????
    I bet there a lot of curb hoppers out there...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  12. nicksplowing

WHAT EVER DO YOU MEAN ALL MY 3/4 TON TRUCKS ONLY CARRY 2 PALLETS OF SALT :Dwesport

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We never take the truck off the parking lot. The only guy I have that pushes piles back has a back hoe.

14. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Early in the season up to mid season I'll push the snow as far back as I can (usually run the front wheels over the curb where I can) Got to leave room for the next one...if we ever get a next one.

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

But you also have to take into consideration that a curb on my lot may be 5" of asphalt and a curb on your lot could be granite slabs. Not gonna drive over those babies

16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

exactly
    99% of the time you stop with the wheel still on the pavement (or you have curbs that you can't really drive over, 1' tall or more, but you can stack snow over those you just have to build a bigger ramp)
    But occasionally you have to push it way back. Or you have a big pile area and you have to start further at the back.
    But the snow should end up on the other side of the curb, how that happens is site specific and most of the time it doesn't need a loader.

17. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I didn't say everyone didn't know how to plow nor did I even say YOU don't know how to plow
    What I did say and your comments totally tell me it's true is that you don't know how to STACK snow.

18. nicksplowing

WHAT DOES STACKING SNOW IN THIS CASE HAVE TO DO WITH DRIVING YOUR TRUCK OVER A CURB? (WHICH IS MEANT TO DETER FURTHER TRAVEL BTW) IM IN BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY IF AND WHEN WE GET TOO MUCH SNOW (TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH LOL) THAT WE CANT MOVE IT OFF THE LOT ANYMORE WE RENT A LOADER AND STACK IT HIGHER....I GUESS EVERYONES SITUATION IS DIFFERENT BUT I KNOW IF I WAS THE PROPERTY OWNER LAST THING I WOULD WANT TO SEE IS THE SNOWPLOW GUY DRIVING UP AND OVER MY CURB JUST TO PUSH THE SNOW FURTHER BACK IN *CASE* MORE SNOW MIGHT BE COMING :dizzy:

19. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I voted I will push over the curb but I don't drive over curbs. If you doing a lot that requires you to store the snow over the curbs on islands or what ever use the right equipment and it's not a pick up.
    This question is only geared towards lots that have a area over a curb to even store snow on. I will show you as many lots you want to see around my area and very few have snow storage areas over curbs or even snow storage areas at all. You must use up parking spots or haul it out. Most won't pay for hauling unless they have to.

20. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

Same here, push to the curb, lift and go as far as you can before the plow frame hits. Imagine the look on the customers face if your 2 truck lenghts past the end of the lot while plowing.