1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing over brick pavers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Jan 19, 2014.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Does anyone have to plow over brick pavers?
    A property we service has long 12' wide brick paver sidewalks.

The property has been doing them with a small little tractor with no down pressure.

Wondering if anyone else is plowing them and with what.

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Most guys that have several of those kinds of properties use a rubber cutting edge I believe. I can't personally give you much advice as I don't have any of those and never have. One idea that might work though, would be find the high spot on the driveway, drop the blade and don't put it in float. That would leave some residual snow on the drive, but you wouldn't be pulling up any pavers. Don't know if that would work or not, but it's an idea.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've always just dropped the blade and went with it. Never had a problem. Keep the blade angled and let it float and you should be ok

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We had a poly edge made at a plastics supplier.

5. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

I do the same. I have one resi driveway big one with all pavers. I just drop the plow and go a little slower and have yet to flip a paver.

6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I do retaining walls and some pavers as my main business. When I went thru ICPI certification class for pavers that was a big question. Instructors says no problem don't worry. I haven't had to plow any but turned down a apartment complex that had compete lot of them. They was the permible style with wider gap grouted with stone to keep water on site. Could you imagine a couple sticking up and tearing out a few hundred before you got stopped. :(:(

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If the pavers are done properly plowing the lot with a steel edge and no shoes = no problem.

I've been plowing a lot that was done with pavers for 10yr now and have yet to catch one, no matter what angel I've had the plow set at .

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It really would depend on the requirements for the specific lots, ALSO depends on how well the pavers are laying. If the pavers are LUMPY or otherwise uneven, that really increases your chances of digging them out.

If it is critical that you don't scratch them, poly/rubber/etc.
    If you just don't want to dig them out, gravel shoes. Gravel shoes will scratch, but not nearly as much as the full blade, and won't dig them out.
    If the pavers are smooth and tight, and it doesn't matter if you scratch them up a bit, just drop the steel blade and do it.

9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have some driveways made of these and I use a poly blade. It does not scratch them up or leave any rusty marks. I also does not leave those brown rusty marks on concrete driveways.

10. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

fisher makes a poly edge to bolt in place of your steel edge...

poly edge is worth using on everything in my opinion unless you are trying to plow very rough unpaved stuff

many snow pushers come with poly edges.

Poly wont scratch or gouge the pavers like the steel edge might.

11. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

aren't pavers supposed to be harder and denser than poured concrete? if so why would your worry about scratching them? I do one lot and was told by owner no problem use steel they always have and I saw no scrapes or damage on them.

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

That would depend on the concrete mix. A parking structure, for example, will typically have an extremely strong mix. Compared to asphalt though, almost anything is stronger.

The main issue with pavers, is that they are usually selected to be somewhat decorative. That being the case, it can often be more important to avoid damage to them. Again though, depends on the owner.

13. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The other thing is that people seem to think they will be hurt so they look for it. Also these driveways are very expensive compared to asphalt. I use the poly blade and charge more because no one else in the area seems to have one. For most snows I like it better and it also lasts way longer than steel. So I really should not charge more but that the way it is.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Cutting edges generally leave rust streaks on them and if they are uneven the high stones get scratched. Really depends on how anal your client is.

15. Rockyroad

Rockyroad Junior Member

We manufacture edges specifically for those types of applications.

16. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

Tried Reaching Rockyroad

I left a message and sent emails to you this week about ploy edges...please contact me.
    David
    Weeded! Lawn Service

17. CMD

CMD Member
    from Maine

Was at boston city hall last week , the whole area is either brick pavers or stone in some areas. There was two city 4wd trucks parked with fisher straight blades.......between the cutting edge and the trip edge they had sandwiched a flat of hard rubber about an inch thick x 10" the full width of the plow. Figured this was to reduce wear on the brick. Always looking at equipment for ideas.

18. Weeded!

Weeded! Member

We do a mile of brick roadway

I went better-safe-than-sorry and used 1" thick rubber cutting edge. I also used some poly (not specifically plow poly) for the ATV plow. Both worked well, though the plastic seemed to clear better.

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

if you wore off enough steel to leave rust marks your cutting edge would be worn out in no time.

Your not going to wear off enough steel that's going to stick around long enough on a drive that is exposed to the elements to leave rust streaks.

Maybe if your rusty shoos were put into service just before you plowed you would leave streaks on the pavement.
    Most of us run our stuff enough so rust doesn't build up on the equipment.

The lot I plow with pavers shows no wear from plowing all of the bricks are intact.
    I guess it depends on the quality of the paver.

Our city bricked some streets.
    It was omg, omg, we need poly edges on a couple of trucks and dedicated them to plowing the bricked streets.
    now, years later they just plow them with the same plows they use every where else with steel edges.

20. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

:laughing:
    good story.

Ive personally seen some really messed up pavers from bad snow plow ops before, but int hose cases it was either a grade change (multiple usually) involved or in a couple cases where some dill hole used a skid steer with chains and was spinning his tires! Yowch!