1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing Out Mail Boxes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GesnerLawn, Feb 22, 2003.

1. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I did a search but didn't find anything.

Do you guys always include plowing in front of the mailbox?

I always do as part of clean-up, but it seems that many contractors in my area don't bother with it. I've had several compliments from my residential customers for doing it.

2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

yes

I do but the town says its a no no $50 to plow the street even if its a neat job

3. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I normally don't go out of my way to do that, but it depends on the drive. There is a fine for plowing on the street around here too, but I've never heard of it being enforced.

Last season though, I had one of my customers call me in tears. She said that the mailman left her a nasty note saying he would not deliver her mail anymore until she shoveled in front of her mailbox because the pile from the county road plow was getting too big. I told her to calm down, I'd take care of it. The mailman was just being a xxxxx because it wasn't that bad. I took a couple of cuts into it with the blade though, and cleared it right up to the post, took me about 30 seconds...

Anyway, the next day, she left an envelope in my door with a $20 gift certificate to a local resuraunt.

It pays to take care of your customers.:waving:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2003
  4. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I don't plow across streets unless I absolutely have to, but plow in the street all the time. They can fine me if they want, but there's no way my customers would find it acceptable to leave the snow on the two or so feet of unplowed road in front of their apron. I'll also plow the street if I make a mess in it from dropping snow etc.

5. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I plow the street if I leave a mess there as well. Many times either some snow falls off the plow or the back side of a pile I'm making falls into the street. I've never had a problem, I figure as long as I'm cleaning up my mess nobody will mind.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I include it as part of my service, never got a complaint from the highway dept. and the mail carrier loves it.

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Yes, mailboxes, fire hydrants and drain basins are included.

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Mailboxes & hydrants are an extra box to be checked on the contracts. Odviously I don't plow snow up to either one, as people would get quite upset if they had to dig my pile out to get the mail & the FD (that I plan on joining) would be quite upset to see the hydrant under 5ft of snow. Only 2 customers requested that I plow of the mailbox. I do that for free as they are great customers. Only reason I have it as a extra service is so no one can complain if I dont.

9. Strongmd

Strongmd Member

We automatically do everyone's mailboxes.

10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Always.
    Think about it, the customer has to walk out to the box too. It will come back on you if you don't plow it. Eventually anyway.:nono:

11. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I always plow in front of the mail box alot of times I will also throw a hand full of salt there for the older people that I plow for.

12. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

to answer BWhite as to why a fine and being told a no-no.. Having run a municipal highway dpt myself, I have found that 99% of driveway cleanups by private contractors are done after the storm and after the town is finished. I realize most go back once or twice, I am referring to final clean up. Most contractors do plow the mail box,, however in doing so, they also take the sand right off the road. Anyone who cleaned up, leaving no trails or mess, I would let them go. it's the guys who plow across roads, leaving trails a mess and taking the sand/salt mix off, that irratates me. It also makes that particular home owner, and thus their contractor, liable should accidents occur in that same spot. Keep it real clean, no trails or mess, and not go too far out in the road an I bet most if not all hwy spvrs will let it go.

13. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

Guys,

I look at it this way...there are 2 places that everyone wants to get to... home...and to their mailbox... so I do the mailbox and also widen the end of the driveway as best as I can. I look at it as I am helping the customer out, then mailmen and any delivery or service guys out who have a large vehicle that have to get into or out of my customers drive ways…. You know the oil delivery guys, the IPS FedEx guys, etc…… and what is another 30 seconds or so ….. it’s the pay-it-forward approach to the little things…..

Just my .02

Pete
    :D