1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing on the Lake

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn Enforcer, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I got a couple calls this week to plow out to an ice house site, plow spaces for the a few houses, and then plow snow up to them. I had never gotten any calls for this before. I have my own house out there, and I don't even plow around my own. I told them no, because my truck is strictly for business use only, and I can't risk dropping the truck through the ice. Insurance is totally exempt on the lake, so it's a easy choice. Anyone else had calls for this before?

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i would do it with a shovel or snowblower and bid high

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Not to throw a monkey wrench in this one, but unless it is specifically excluded from your insurance policy, it would be covered, but some policies, especially if you are in Northern States, there could be an exclusion.

I know a lot of people do it and it is fine, I am with you I would not, but your insurance policy does cover stupidity, not saying you are, just saying doing it would be stupid

4. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

just make sure you use some extra salt, you wouldn't want get a slip & fall lawsuit...:laughing:

5. Lawn Enforcer

Well I'm not gonna blow a path 2 miles long onto the lake wide enough for a truck in snow about a foot deep. They aren't gonna pay a massive amount of money to have this done.

6. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

No way I would do this.

Someone did this on a few lakes in Northern Wisconsin last season, and then snowmobilers were hitting the berms from plowing and being ejected from their sleds. Numerous injuries to snowmobilers. Just hitting the plowed "road" on a snowmobile while going 40+ MPH can cause a very dangerous situation.

I would NOT want to have the liability associated with that.

7. Lawn Enforcer

My insurance guy even said to me that it is not covered, and if I would do something like that I would most likely be dropped. Unless someone showed me $10K in cash, I'm not gonna do it. Just wondering if it was common or not for people to be asked this.

I also thought about the big windrows left behind and people on sleds and in trucks hitting them.

8. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

tell them to get a sled.... too damn lazy to get out to thier fish shack.......

good thing to stay away from

9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

if you have a small truck 10-16" thick is a must, mid size 16"+ and i would weld something very wide at least 12' to my hitch and something to the tow hooks or somdthing, so if you do take a spill you wont sink.

just dont do it, or rent a skid steer and get the insurance

10. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I plow on the lake all the time. I dont get calls to do it or anything but plow to our ice house and some friens alot. No your insurance will not cover if you go through.

11. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

what is an ice house.

12. A small building located of a frozen lake with a hole on the floor erected to provide a location for drinking large quantities of beer without women bitching at you. tymusic

Can also be used for Ice Fishing as well I suppose...

13. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Haha! :laughing::laughing:

14. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

Helicopters are expensive to fish out a truck, Divers are expensive.
    I had to do this on a lake I put a sled though the ice and dnr made me get it out and pay fine for pollution to the water. All said and done $4235 it cost me Helicopter was $2000 Divers were $1500 and Fines were $ 735.

I DON'T RECOMMEND DRIVING ON ANY ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BY THE WAY HOUGHTON LAKE EAST SIDE DENTON CREEK 22 FOOT DOWN HAD TO SWIM TO SHORE IN FULL SLED OUT FIT.

IT SUCKED GOT FROSTBITE AND RUINED MY SLED MACH Z CK3 CHASSIS BUILT TRIPLE PIPES, 244 STUDS, HEAD WORK, PORTED, POLISHED, FOX SHOCKS, LOUD I MEAN LOUD SLED YOU COULD HEAR IT FROM ONE SIDE OF THE LAKE TO THE OTHER TOP SPEED 129 ON RADAR.

15. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I use to plow the drag strip for the snowmobile races, the last time was probably more than 10 years ago. We would have cars lined up down each side and we always had a big fire with lots of beer. One year my friend and I raced our trucks (I won he had a 2wd) then everyone had their cars, mini vans or whatever they had racing down the strip. :laughing: Good times.

16. micklock

micklock Senior Member

There is a snowmobile at the bottom of our lake, a guy that lives across the lake was riding it with his kid about 6 years ago when it fell through. I dont know why the DNR didnt make him get it out, I'll have to ask him. I scuba dive and tried to find it a couple times but it's in the deepest part of the lake (50') and it's zero vis below 40' so you would have to bump into it or catch it with a line it to find it.

17. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

You must me on whitmore lake theres alot of sled down there. The races out there were awesome at one time. My banshee rocked out there.

18. procut

procut Senior Member

I wouldn't do it...

19. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

Note to self: Build Ice House.

20. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

that has to be the best thing I have heard yet.