1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing on Sunday mornings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timsjeep, Oct 22, 2002.

1. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

I you have an account with a company that is closed on Sundays. Do you still plow if it is only 1" to 3"? Here in Colorado, snow melts so fast that some of my clients have asked me not to plow on Sundays. My luck, All our storms will come saturday night. What should my responce be to them?
    thanks, tim

Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Do you have a contract??

Problems could develop if you have a contract to plow, and follow the request by your customer(s) and not plow, then the temp stays colder than expedted.

A simple solution could be to get an addendem (sp) to the contract to cover you and or your company.

Another option is to re-write the contract with wording to include something like "company will call contractor if plowing is to be done on Sundays".

Be sure to check with a lawyer for legalize on all contracts.

Good Luck!

Rick

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

A few years back my brother and I plowed a temple. They had us specify in the contract that no services would be provided from sun up to sun down on Saturdays. We agreed, but explained we would pre-salt the lot before sunup on Saturdays if snow was coming to prevent the bond from forming.

It is pretty common for some contracts to call for no plowing services on Sundays, and in the evenings. We walk away from those contracts unless we can pre-salt. Nothing worse than trying to scrape up what has been driven on for a day with no salt down.

Some contractors plow these sites anyway (I mean take on the contract) and they deal with the hardpack. Hardpack is something we try to avoid at all costs. It is just too time consuming, and hard on the equipment. It also takes much more salt that is really necessary had they allowed us to pre-salt.

~Chuck

4. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

We have had customers ask us not to plow on Sunday's and sometimes the weekend... and I explain just because they're not open doesn't mean the snow doesn't need to be plowed and removed.

On one account I did yield because they didn't have any Sunday traffic. I told them the lot would be clear for Monday morning - so if it did snow Saturday night I could plow it on Sunday assuming it wasn't going to snow again. Or I'd wait for early Monday morning to plow if it was going to snow. Worst case scenario we'd get a slight warm up with snow down and then a refreeze. The customer knew they were accepting this as a liability.

What the customer thinks they're saving by not plowing on Sunday they're going to loose because of additional de-icing needs. IMO.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Her's a question if you are asked not to plow ,salt or any thing on the sunday who is is to blame if some one walks on the property slips and falls?Then you have the question if i don't pre treat or scrap what came down and a bunch of cars come in and pack it down now you in more trouble.Hard to get hard packed snow/ice up,so now you plowing becomes harder.They want to save money but in the long run i think that we would charge more to do it like that unless your in a place where it snows and melts just as quick.

6. shamrock1

shamrock1 Member

Many of our commerical accounts are 7 day a week businesses ie: Hotels, Bar/Restaurants, Service Stations etc...... There are certain properties that do close for the week-end, however as referenced earlier in the different threads, Rather than have a slip & fall litigation or have hard-pack to deal with. Just do it.

If we are out and it is snowing or you need to do clean-up duty....Why not do all of your properties?

We reserve the right to service all of our commercial accounts as we deem appropriate for the safety and security of the contracted commercial site.

The route driver maintains all accurate logs w/ in/out times returned to office to maintain the record should a particular business be closed and they are on a per push charge,

The seasonal contract customer doesn't mind how many time s you have been there, just as long as it is done by 0700AM and the client is open for business...

The other advantage that we personally like about Sunday's is that there is traditionally less traffic on the roads which makes it easier to run the trucks and loaders without too much interference....:D

7. bgrover

bgrover Member

After reading many of the replys about going ahead and just plowing the site I wanted to throw something out.

Just remember that for some of the customers the reason they don't want you to plow is religious, not money. I know there are many religions that will now allow work to be done on their day of rest.

If you go ahead and plow one of these IMHO you run the risk of alienating them and having your name spread that you don't respect their beliefs and wishes.

Just my $.02 worth.

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Exactly bgrover. We respected their religious beliefs, and made our job easier, and more cost effective for them.

Believe me, there were Saturdays we drove through the lot checking it, seeing groups of 10 and 20 people walking across the lot with 6" of snow on it. They didn't seem to mind at all.

~Chuck

9. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

plowing on sunday

Do a couple of churches and gas stations. They'll be open. But as far as my other business's, unless they are open, no we don't plow on sundays. Or condos. They always need to be done.

10. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

If it were to snow on sundays, we would do all of our 24 hour/priority 1 customers first like Denny's,hospitals ,fire stations. Then places that would actually be open and have traffic like churchs, restaurants,apartment complexes, hotels. Then we plow all of our office buildings, industrial parks, and schools. We have a clause in our contracts that if we get 2 inchs, u get plowed or we are not liable.

11. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

NO plowing on Sunday

I had a church that said not to plow on Sundays & I said see ya. as you will be sued sometime by someone who slips or falls. And they said they understood & got someone else & 2 yrs. later :eek: you guessed it someone sued the plower & church for not plowing on Sunday & WON.

See when you plow the lot every other day the judge said you showed negligence as not to plow on Sundays. :nono: Just as if you shovel your sidewalks & someone slips or falls you're liable but if the walks haven't or never shoveled your not responsable.;) I know this for a fact as my Aunt was sued & found not liable as she didn't ever shovel her sidewalks ( she lives out of town or I'd do them).

PS: I now have the contract to plow & salt the church lots, everyday no matter what. They always come back to the pros as they now understand in todays world you will be sued Religious beliefs or not.

And YES it's a sad world we live in as you can sue for anything & everything. :(