1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plowing on pavers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadRacer041, Dec 13, 2004.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

ive been plowing for about 10 years and have tried to stay away from driveway's with pavers.i have a few buddies who have told me over the years its very dangerious to plow on pavers unless you have a rubber cutting edge.i got a call for an estimate from a freind of the family who asked for a price and they have a paver driveway.is it really not a good idea to plow on pavers with a steel cutting edge??
    any suggestions??
  2. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i have one customer with pavers, i never had a problem.., i probably chipped a few but as long as no one goes out there with a microscope it doesnt matter.
  3. bterry

bterry Senior Member

My personal driveway has pavers, and I've plowed it for 5 years (since it was new). It has pressure treated 4x4's around the perimeter, or abuts against the concrete sidewalks/drive.

At first, I ALWAYS made sure the steel cutting edge was on top of the 4x4's, AND the blade was ALWAYS angled so that it wouldn't catch catch a paver. Go SLOOOW.

Now, I don't worry about it so much, and just plow it. Granted - I've proved that the driveway will hold up OK.

Some more info to think about:
    1. It's my personal driveway - so guess who gets to fix it.
    2. My typical contract states that I'm not responsible for damage - I suppose I could lose in court anyway.
    3. I would bid it, just making sure that the owner is aware of the danger, and be sure that the driveway is already in a good solid condition.
    4. Include a few hours of repair time in case you do rip it up. The're not difficult to repair.

Hope this helps,
  4. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

on a side note- I see they are selling snowblowers with rubber covering the blades as well
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I wouldn't even touch a paver driveway with a steel edge. I've learned first hand what they can do in a new subdivision development, and it can lead to be EXPENSIVE. I'm glad I wasn't the one, but it happened. This guy used to do them in this subdivision for this builder, but always back dragged them. He said concidered getting a rubber edge just for this purpose, but never did. This year, he let it go in lieu of some other work closer by. The developer called him and was fit to be tied. He (the developer) wanted him to go out and look at the damage and wondered if they can be replaced in the spring. I think the new people , whoever did this plowing, are on their way out. It's just not worth the potential damage that can be done. Many of the pavers out today are textured, so those would be the ones to look out for.
  6. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

get mushroom shoes and pop them on with a 1/2" gap between your edge and the pavers. you could always backdrag it this way to to be REALLY safe.....
  7. new2it

new2it Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is a paver? Thanks
  8. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Paver's are like small bricks that you put down for your driveway.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I plowed a drive last year with pavers and I always used shoes without a single problem..Rob
  10. intlco

intlco Senior Member

What's with everyone installing pavers lately?
    I've even noticed that the cities are installing paver streets out here.
    Some of the commercial lots are doing the same.

I have not had any problems with them in the past using a straight blade. The v seems a bit hard on them.
  11. new2it

new2it Member

THANKS!!! Tough to follow a thread when you don't know what they are talking about. :)