1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing on Gravel

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tom c., Feb 17, 2010.

1. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

I was wondering if any of you guys plow any gravel lots? I have a decent sized lot and am at wits end on plowing it and getting it decently done. I've tried to lift the blade 1" off of float and plow like that and it's ok on small amounts of snow. We just bot about 15" of snow and i had to plow with the blade on float and it start to spin the wheels and dig in when the blade gets loaded up with snow. Any of you guys have any suggestions? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

most will tell you either to run shoes on your plow, or cut open a length of pipe and put that over your cutting edge.
  3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What are you running for a truck and plow? Knowing would help us give you advice.
  4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

yup run shoes high. ive never heard of the pipe idea, but it seems like that might work
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Just keep your foot in it. lol :drinkup:
  6. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

when i first brought up the idea of maybe gettin a plow for my truck, i brought up the gravel question and some suggested the pipe idea. i saw some pics and they looked pretty cool. i havent done it, but i want to do it to our farm blade so i dont have to rake a half a mile of gravel out of the grass along our drive.lol
  7. ajslands

What would you do, just cut a slit in one with an asedyline torch?
  8. farmer101

farmer101 Senior Member
    from indiana

or a plasma cutter, or if you want to take forever, a die grinder.:laughing:

but thats what i was thinking. ive never heard anyone say for sure how to cut it, but you do split it open and just slide it over the edge. but you also need to make mounting tabs or something like that to hold it on.
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It takes a little practice. Pick the blade up till it's just off the ground. Once the gravel is frozen, drop the blade and let her rip.
  10. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

Running an 03 dodge quad cab with Boss plow.
  11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just a suggestion, you might want to try plowing with the storm, instead of waiting for 15 inches to fall. Specially if it is a wet snow. Wet snow usually causes the blade to want to dig in more, by pulling down on it. If you would have hit the lot 2 or 3 times during the snowfall I am sure it would have worked much better.
  12. ajslands

Rc he's talking about plowing on gravel, not plowing deep snow
  13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Not exactly a parking lot, but for my neighbors gravel driveway I just lift the plow a touch above the gravel, leaves just a bit of snow.

I may try the pipe idea with PVC, may work for my lightweight plow.
  14. ajslands

PVC will get shreaded real fast, gotta use steel.
  15. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We plow a storage lot and some driveways. Let the plow all the way down and then a touch back up. Leaves a layer of snow that will eventually get hard packed and then you can just plow whatever falls on top of it. Works great for us.
  16. Tom c.

Tom c. Member

Plowing gravel lots

I've tried the 1" off the ground method and it works well for small snowfall amounts. The last storm we had we were getting over an inch an hour and I was hitting 4 parking lots to keep them useable. The gravel lot only gets used periodically {church and daycare}. My problem arises after the storm when the daycare center is in use. Moms and kids and snow is oh oh. Wound up using a large amount of salt to get rid of ice patches. Well I'll try a few things and see what happens. Thanks for the tips Tom Aka Plowdude
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Straight salt on gravel is generally considered a no-no.
  18. Cfish

Cfish Junior Member

Pipe on plow

I have seen a different way to attach to straight plows. The pipe had posts wielded to heavy wall tube, 2' I think. The posts fit into shoe mounts. easy to take on or off.It seemed to work well.
  19. On some of the plows we uses in Northern Wis. on sand / gravel drives and roads we use a sand guard. It is a piece of heavy angle iron about 5 or 6 inches on a side. We drill a few holes in one side spaced to replace a couple of bolts holding the cutting edge to the plow. By placing one side of the angle in front of the blade held on by a few longer bolts through the cutting edge and the plow blade, the other side of the angle iron goes back under the blade. This forces the gravel and a little snow down under the blade and the edge of the angle iron acts like a edge to allow the plow to operate normaly.

I hope this some ideas.
  20. NHCraigT

NHCraigT Member
    from NH

Get out and plow WITH the snow. It sounds like you are trying to go out and plow "after" the snow (15" according to your post). I am not surprised you are having problems.....

And use plow shoes!