1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plowing On Contracts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lux Lawn, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The way this winter started out it looked like we were going to be plowing almost everyday.Where we plow everything is done on a Season Contract so for us everyday it doesn't snow we save money.I would like to have some by the PUSH but the residents around me all want the Contracts.I know some people can really be hurting by now.Are you guys that plow by the Contract hoping for no snow or are you getting bored?

2. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Getting bored to the point I don't want it to snow cause that means I have to go out lol. If that makes sense.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I agree it's been so long i don't want to plow either, all seasonal.But it looks like I'll have to go out to night for a couple of hrs. Oh well it had to happen sooner or later. lol

4. Lux Lawn

Its been a nice break...and saved a littled bit of money as well.

5. grandview

I'am trying to hold off as long as possible going to hit low 40's tomorrow.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

That happened to me the other night. I plow at a 1" trigger on contracts. We had about 3/4", and usually I'll just plow it since I haven't done anything for about 30 days now.

The other night I just drove by, looking at the lots, and even checking the depths with a tape measure, making sure it DIDN'T hit my 1" trigger. Just couldn't get myself to go and do it. :blush2:

7. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Hey Lux Lawn have a question for you. On average what are the seasonal contracts going for there in Cleveland??? And how many event do you guys have there??? Just wondering thinking of moving to that general area. Also is there any brick work, cement patio's, new build stuff going on there??? Wife lived there when she was a kid and anything is better than Michigan!!! Economy is horrible here and am starting to get worrried that it is not getting better for a while.

8. Lux Lawn

It depends on what part of town you live in.Westside of Cleveland gets a lot less snow then me on the East side.We get are share of Lake Effect.Its pretty competive around here as it is every where I'm sure.Some city's you can charge more then others.As far as the brick,patio,and new buildings there's seems to be stuff going up everyday.
    P.M. me and we can talk about it if you want.
    Larry

9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

It only makes "sence" that if I plow by the contract that I would wanna do very little and still get paid. ( Kinda like the UAW ) ( Na, just kidding ) Believe me I have several other things I could be doing instead of plowing.

Plus, it saves on the equipment as well, this is a big factor when you equipment has several years use on it.

Just my .02 worth.

10. larryjlk

larryjlk Member

Hey Larry,
    this year I switched all my residential to per-push contracts. It was actually my way of getting a rate increase that made sense to me. Lost some and picked up some new ones. I tried to sneak it by them by offering a contract for up to 10 pushes at the same rate as last years seasonal contract and then per push after that at 1/10th of the contract rate. Haven't reached my increase amount yet although I'm close. Probably plowed at least 7 or 8 times in Dec. alone, thought I'd be rich by now but then someone pulled the plug on the snow. It's been so warm her in Jan. that I'm thinkin more about fishin then plowin but I know it's gonna snow again here before winter's over. Isn't it?

11. Lux Lawn

Larry
    Where you plow gets less snow then some of my other routes in the Hts. areas like Mayfield,Lynd.,Beachwood and so on.Like we talked about in the fall I have maybe 10-15 between Shaker & Cleveland Hts. where I know you have a lot of work.We have been out about 12 times and out of those 12 time i think I skipped Cleveland Hts. area like 4 or 5 times... that far west just doesn't get it sometimes.
    You ask if its gona snow again?????
    I hope not.:)

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

well i like the contracts
    1 they are all payed up front.
    2 im doing cleanup so it like double pay.
    I only plow for full service clients 40 so if it dos snow im not out 24-7. no contract is under 300.0

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

95% of my pushes are right on the lake and It just blows right over its a beautiful thing

14. grandview

My truck after going out after a month of no plowing. You could say i lost money last night by plowing. LoL.

Picture 024 (Small).jpg

15. Keith_480231

Keith_480231 Senior Member

Thanks for the info Lux appreciate it. Will PM you in the next couple of days after we up here in Michigan get over the new "well needed" storm that is coming overnight. Talk to you soon thanks again.:waving: